Fwd: Urgent - Save Bike Infrastructure Funding

Erica

Nov 6, 2017, 3:58:04 PM11/6/17
to WBWC Board, wb...@googlegroups.com
Make your calls today. You can leave voice messages. The committee meets tomorrow at 10:30am.

When I spoke with some of the Representative's aides, the reason they had to support this bill was giving rural communities more control over how to spend spend their limited transportation funds, so you may want to counter this pro-argument in your call.  For instance, requiring communities in Michigan to dedicate a 1% of funding for nonmotorized transportation projects is good policy not only because it helps the citizens who bike and walk in those communities, but is critical to the future of our state (tourism, economic development, public health, etc).

Nov 6, 2017, 6:03:04 PM11/6/17
to wb...@googlegroups.com, WBWC Board
From the LMB Take Action Page (just now):

Thank you, thank you, thank you! A HUGE THANK YOU to all LMB members and supporters who mobilized today to oppose efforts to eliminate the long-standing provision in Act 51 requiring that Michigan road agencies spend a portion of their transportation funds on walking and biking projects. We are pleased to share that late this afternoon, HB 4954 was pulled from the agenda of tomorrow's Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. This means they will not take testimony or vote on the bill tomorrow as we originally expected. This is in large part due to your swift action! We will keep you posted on this issue if further action is needed.

--
Please note that WBWC google groups is an unmoderated forum. It was developed by the Washtenaw Bicycling and Walking Coalition as a tool for bikers and walkers to discuss key issues and share information. However, not all views expressed in this group are the views or values of WBWC. For more information about WBWC, meetings, and projects, please visit www.wbwc.org
---