Fwd: Press Release: Pedestrian safety must be a priority in the Ann Arbor City budget -- Attend the Retreat and sign the Change.org petition

K Griswold

Dec 9, 2016, 4:35:37 PM12/9/16
to Carolyn Grawi, wb...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: K Griswold <grisw...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 4:00 PM
Subject: Press Release: Pedestrian safety must be a priority in the Ann Arbor City budget -- Attend the Retreat and sign the Change.org petition
To: Ryan Stanton <stan...@gmail.com>, James Leonard <jimle...@comcast.net>, Jim Kosteva <jkos...@umich.edu>, Lauren Slagter <LSLA...@mlive.com>, Lisa Barry <lbar...@emich.edu>, "stu...@wemu.org" <stu...@wemu.org>, David Fair <df...@emich.edu>, Lucy Ann Lance <lucyan...@yahoo.com>, luc...@lucyannlance.com, ne...@wxyz.com, defe...@clickondetroit.com, fox2ne...@foxtv.com, wjnew...@cbsradio.com, Brian Kuang <bhk...@umich.edu>
Cc: Stephanie Preston <stephani...@gmail.com>, a2safet...@umich.edu

Press Release
A2 Safe Transport
December 9, 2016

For immediate release
Contacts: Stephanie Preston, A2 Safe Transport Spokesperson, email stephaniedpre...@gmail.com,
and Kathy Griswold, Administrative Support, (734)657-7900

Pedestrian safety advocate groups, lead by A2 Safe Transport, invite the public to attend the Ann Arbor City Council Budget Retreat on Monday, December 12. The Retreat is scheduled from 4PM to approximately 9 PM and there is an opportunity for public comment at the end of the Retreat. The City moved the Retreat to the multi-purpose room in the basement of the downtown district library to accommodate a large audience and possible Detroit media cameras. Please come at 3:30 PM prior to the Retreat and join others advocating for pedestrian safety or stop in anytime. You may follow the meeting on Twitter at #A2Council and follow A2 Safe Transport on Facebook.

In addition, A2 Safe Transport has started the following Change.org petition to make pedestrian safety a priority in the Ann Arbor City budget. The public is encouraged to sign the petition and share it via email, Facebook and Twitter.

Latest news on MLIVE, as of 2:38 PM on December 9, 2016.

Thank you.

Pedestrian safety must be a priority in the Ann Arbor City budget

Ensuring pedestrian safety—particularly that of our schoolchildren—is an essential function of City government. The priority placed upon it by our elected representatives must realign to reflect the community's sense that we have neglected this essential function for too long.

There have been recent deaths, many accidents, and countless near misses due to unsafe conditions that combine high speeds, low visibility, and poorly-maintained crosswalks without proper lighting or signaling. This is exacerbated by poor understanding and enforcement of traffic laws.

As the Mayor and City Council gather for their annual Budget Goal/Priority Setting Retreat, the community demands that City Council allocate current and future resources to ensure that pedestrian safety features meet best practice standards.

The City shall take the following concrete steps to safeguard pedestrian safety in the immediate future:

1) All Ann Arbor public schools shall be designated as school zones, with a school sign and 25 mph speed limits during school transition times, indicated with a flashing light.

 2) Crosswalks adhering to best practice standards shall be placed around all schools in a way that is consistent across town and tailored to the location.

 3) Crossing guards shall be placed in all locations requiring a flashing light that has yet to be installed, or where students cross commuter traffic.

4) Law enforcement of speed limits and adherence to crosswalk laws shall be utilized to change people's behavior.

In this way, the City’s schoolchildren will no longer be placed in harm's way as they travel to and from school. Where the safety of our most vulnerable and treasured community members is at stake, we will not yield.

These changes will ensure that Ann Arbor is a safe place for both pedestrians and drivers, reclaiming our status as a livable city, where people can enjoy walking or biking without fear.

---

To learn more, here are sample news stories with information about our problem and recent tragic, avoidable deaths:

-Parents call for safer crosswalks in wake of Ann Arbor teen's death
-Ann Arbor crosswalk where pedestrian was hit has awaited updates for 2 years
-Ann Arbor adopts pedestrian safety report, sets goal of zero fatalities by 2025
-Pedestrian's death on Ann Arbor-Saline Road prompts questions of safety
-Number of pedestrian-vehicle crashes up in Ann Arbor since adoption of crosswalk ordinance

This petition will be delivered to:

--
Katherine J. Griswold
Michigan MBA & MSW