Downtown Cycling

Tim Athan

Nov 25, 2015, 9:21:37 AM11/25/15
to wb...@googlegroups.com
Distracted drivers have changed the risks of cycling.

Ten years ago cyclists pushed “Share the Road.” “It may feel scary to be on the road, with cars zipping past, but overtaking bicycle accidents are very rare. Meanwhile, riding on a sidewalk, where you aren’t expected, is the most dangerous."

I recently saw figures that showed that overtaking bicycle accidents are now the most common type.

It seems the bicycling community has acquiesced to efforts to eliminate sidewalk bicycling riding downtown. Yet cyclist-pedestrian accidents generally aren’t nearly as severe as cyclist-auto accidents.

Official looking signs have been posted downtown, reading “Please walk your bicycle,” though there is no legal mandate. I have been told that it is illegal to post unofficial traffic signs. I imagine I would get in trouble if I posted a 20 mph speed limit sign on my street, even if it contained the word “please.”

When downtown streets underwent some reconfiguring a few years ago, (such as making State Street two-way), downtown merchants resisted putting in bike lanes. Maybe if they find the sidewalks busy with bicyclists they would be more amenable to that solution, a solution that would be safer for bicyclists than riding in downtown streets. And if enough people switch from car driving to bicycling it would be better for motorists too, for our downtown streets are over-capacity already during rush hours, and a push for higher density is underway. In the meantime, I’ve pretty much stopped bicycling downtown, because of the risk.

Jeff Gaynor

Nov 25, 2015, 1:23:57 PM11/25/15
to wb...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps the answer when there is not an adequate bike lane is to take the lane - meaning, ride in the middle of the right most lane.   It's not like anyone is going fast downtown, and I'd rather not have a car try to slide past me, especially when streets are rutted and I might have to veer to the left to avoid pothole or drain.  If drivers have to clearly enter the next lane to pass, they will do so more carefully.

There is too much (pedestrian) traffic on sidewalks downtown, and the danger of not being seen at driveways, alleys and intersections remains.

--
Please note that WBWC google groups is an unmoderated forum. It was developed by the Washtenaw Bicycling and Walking Coalition as a tool for bikers and walkers to discuss key issues and share information. However, all views expressed in this group are not the views or values of WBWC. For more information about WBWC, meetings, and projects, please visit www.wbwc.org
---