Washtenaw County Bicycle Crashes 2006-2016

David Shinabarger

Oct 23, 2017, 12:24:24 PM10/23/17
to Washtenaw Bicycling and Walking Coalition
Hi everyone,

I made some charts for Washtenaw County Bike Crashes from 2006-2016.

CLICK HERE to view it.

The data is pulled directly from Michigan Traffic Crash Stats over at https://www.michigantrafficcrashfacts.org/querytool/ . This currently includes all crashes in the Michigan State Police records from 2006-2016 involving bicyclists in Washtenaw County. I plan to do another one that also has pedestrian information.

Consider this a rough draft for now - haven't put much work into making it look super pretty.

 You can filter things at the top by Year, Location, Time of Day, Speed Limits, etc.

This is public and open data, and I think the more data we can collect the better decisions we can make.

I'm hoping to get more detailed data in the future as well to include specific crash locations and pedestrian information.

Thanks,

David Shinabarger

Bruce Geffen

Oct 24, 2017, 5:49:28 PM10/24/17
to wb...@googlegroups.com
From the Ann Arbor Tri Club google group I shared David's information with...

Bruce Geffen

Nov 5, 2017, 6:55:26 PM11/5/17
to wb...@googlegroups.com
Late to the discussion as usual.  Actually, we had something just like that on the WBWC website for a while.  Might still be there.  I'd installed MySQL on the hosting server (host service provided it as a free option) and wrote a bit of code to show a form that populated the database.  Might be worth looking at again.

Ken

It would be nice to have a non-police reporting outlet.  My wife was hit by a car while on her bike a few weeks back.  The car drove off, and since she wans't injured and the bike wasn't damaged, she just biked home, and fumed about it for days.  I am sure this report (as great as it is to see such information tracked) doesn't reflect these sorts of incidents.

Ken Clark

Nov 5, 2017, 7:07:35 PM11/5/17
to wb...@googlegroups.com
We did something like this for the Pedestrian Safety and Access Task Force.  You can pull the individual crash reports.  We downloaded all of them for - five years? - can't quite remember.  Then we parsed them by location, etc.  That was most of how we concluded that the crosswalk ordinance wasn't a problem.  Most of the crashes didn't happen at mid-block locations, the trends were mostly explained by the 2000s recession, and were similar in Ann Arbor, other Michigan cities, Michigan, and regionally.

Tim's point is great.  Without volume information, you can't really tell that much.  For instance, most of the crashes happen on 25 mph roads.  Well, that's probably mostly because non-arterial streets are mostly neighborhood streets and that's where most people - particularly the least experienced - do most of their biking.  If we had volume information, we'd be able to adjust to get per bike/mile traveled, and then see the patterns better.

If we tried to make decisions based on just the crashes, we might conclude that all of our 25mph streets are horribly dangerous for biking, and we need to devote almost all of our resources to making them safer before we do anything on the arterials.  But that would probably be the wrong conclusion.  No doubt we certainly should be doing more traffic calming in neighborhoods, but the problem in the neighborhoods might also be kids biking into the backs of parked cars and needing to go to the ER.  (My daughter did that twice - sans the ER part - before we realized you must teach kids to avoid staring at obstacles or they'll steer right into them!)

If it's of interest, I can probably pull up the code I used to parse the UD-10s.  They have a text and PDF version of those reports, and we had some software to go through the text versions to filter out the useful information.

Ken