Cyclists Lives Count Protest Ride

Bruce Geffen

Apr 9, 2017, 8:37:21 PM4/9/17
to aatc-...@googlegroups.com, team-...@googlegroups.com, commo...@googlegroups.com, bike...@googlegroups.com, wb...@googlegroups.com
Please share (and show up if you can)...

On August 26, 2016, world renowned triathlete Karen McKeachie was brutally killed by Terry Lacroix on Dexter-Chelsea Road as she was legally biking on the roadway. Lacroix blatantly violated traffic laws, impatiently choosing to pass with his truck despite the fact that McKeachie and two fellow riders were clearly in the opposite lane as on-coming traffic.

On March 6th, in an audacious act of disrespect for the lives of cyclists, prosecutors decided to charge Lacroix with a simple moving violation misdemeanor, instead of charging him with manslaughter. Lacroix pleaded no contest to the misdemeanor and is set for sentencing Thursday, April 13th at 10:30am at 14-A3 District Court in Downtown Chelsea.

The goal of this ride is to protest the incredibly light charges against Lacroix and to also ensure that he is given the maximum possible sentence for his "moving violation resulting in death" misdemeanor.

WE WANT NUMBERS!! We realize that April 13th is a work day and a Thursday before Easter weekend, but if you are a cyclist in Michigan, WE NEED YOUR PRESENCE AT THIS RIDE. Our GOAL is to get 1,000 RIDERS!

The ride will be for fast and slow, young and old and is an at-will, non-sponsored mass group ride. We will congregate in Downtown Dexter at and around Monument Park around 8:30am, with a ride leaving promptly at 8:45am. We will then ride the 8 mile Dexter-Chelsea Road, legally and en masse from Dexter to the 14-A3 District Courthouse in Downtown Chelsea where we will congregate outside the court just prior to Lacroix's 10:30am sentencing.

We will be distributing several hundred Cyclists' Lives Count placards and will try to get as many riders as we can to sit in the public gallery of the courtroom, in silent protest, holding up the placards.

In order for our protest to work, we need you to show up and ride with us! This is about justice for Karen. This is about justice for cyclists. This is about YOU making a positive impact for YOUR future safety as a cyclist. Please do whatever you can to join us - road biker, mountain biker, casual cyclist, professional racer - YOUR VOICE COUNTS!

https://www.facebook.com/events/184707802024409/