New bike-friendly infra at 5th & Liberty?

Andrew Westphal

Oct 3, 2017, 7:34:00 PM10/3/17
to Washtenaw Bicycling and Walking Coalition
Hello all,

Did anyone else notice this stoplight footrest (pictured) at the 5th & Liberty intersection today?  It's right outside Afternoon Delight, and appears bolted to the sidewalk.  It's a pretty cool idea, does anyone have more info about this?

Andrew

Jeff Gaynor

Oct 3, 2017, 9:19:51 PM10/3/17
to wb...@googlegroups.com
In a way the footrest is cool, but  at a light I would rather be in the center of the lane, rather than being squeezed against the curb, especially downtown where cars are coming from all directions (hopefully not on Fifth) and cyclists can go as fast as drivers.          - Jeff Gaynor

--
Please note that WBWC google groups is an unmoderated forum. It was developed by the Washtenaw Bicycling and Walking Coalition as a tool for bikers and walkers to discuss key issues and share information. However, not all views expressed in this group are the views or values of WBWC. For more information about WBWC, meetings, and projects, please visit www.wbwc.org
---

Kevin McGuinness

Oct 4, 2017, 9:19:19 AM10/4/17
to wb...@googlegroups.com
I agree Jeff.  I always take the center of the street there.  Otherwise you have to move to the center to bike around the parked cars on the next block.
--
Regards,

Nathan Phipps

Oct 4, 2017, 9:39:36 AM10/4/17
to wb...@googlegroups.com
Cool! I agree with Jeff and Kevin in most cases, but these stands can be useful when they're paired with a painted or protected bike lane (as is the case here) that do not require you to establish yourself in the lane (whether you do that despite the lane is a matter of choice, of course).

On sharrowed and non-marked lanes these stands would not be useful for the reasons noted.
Nate