MLive article and council debate

Erica

Oct 23, 2017, 12:32:07 PM10/23/17
to wb...@googlegroups.com, Bike Alliance of Washtenaw, WBWC Board, christopher hewett

If you believe we need to tackle the flow of traffic on our streets (slow traffic down!) to make our streets safer for bicyclists and pedestrians, you may want to voice your support for seriously examining where we can redesign our streets to make them safer for all users.  Voice your support in news articles (like this one), at Council, everywhere you can!

And share your thoughts here on the WBWC google discussion group. We need to know your thoughts/questions too.

~Erica

Owen Jansson

Oct 23, 2017, 3:06:14 PM10/23/17
to wb...@googlegroups.com

At some point the City will need to decide which is most important, pedestrian and bicycle safety or maximizing the efficiency of vehicular traffic flow. For now it seems as though the latter is in the driver's seat, and while increasing pedestrian safety has been announced as a major City initiative I suspect that in many cases maintaining vehicular traffic flow will, unfortunately, continue to win out. We are still using one-way streets in the downtown area despite the fact that studies have shown that one-way streets consistently result in higher vehicular speeds, and in Ann Arbor's case do so at a time when City planners and decision-makers are doing all they can to increase the number of people living, visiting, and presumably walking, downtown. And the City continues - I presume in the interest of maximizing traffic flow - to permit right-on-red downtown despite the fact that this is particularly dangerous for pedestrians and those walking bicycles, especially when one-way streets are involved. This inexpensive measure (eliminating right-on -red downtown) was recommended in our Pedestrian Safety and Access Task Force Report (p.17).

Owen Jansson

--
Please note that WBWC google groups is an unmoderated forum. It was developed by the Washtenaw Bicycling and Walking Coalition as a tool for bikers and walkers to discuss key issues and share information. However, not all views expressed in this group are the views or values of WBWC. For more information about WBWC, meetings, and projects, please visit www.wbwc.org
---

John Squires

Tim Athan

Oct 23, 2017, 3:58:31 PM10/23/17
to wb...@googlegroups.com
To make fair safety comparisons you should look at accidents per mile, not total accidents.

Otherwise you will set yourself up for many false conclusions.  For example, one shouldn't conclude that high-wire walking is safer than walking in a park from the fact that many more people die walking in a park than when walking a high wire.