Fwd: From a Facebook post...

Bruce Geffen

Oct 16, 2017, 1:05:32 PM10/16/17
to wb...@googlegroups.com

I'm outraged and so is ...Inline image 1 when we discovered these "lynched" bikes (read the sign) while riding in rural Leelanau County. We've been riding a long time and occasionally encounter seemingly angry and aggressive motorists who dangerously crowd us off the road as though they are entitled to not have to consider sharing it. This persons lawn display projects loudly an attitude of wanting to make the roads great again for a vehicle-centric culture by banishing cyclists to vehicle-less islands or at least the sidewalk.

We cycled in 5 New England states last summer and were amazed at how respectful motorists were, even on narrow roads (patiently waiting for a safe spot to pass and waving as they did). We asked a server how they cultivate such a bike friendly State? She described many actions such as teaching her children early on to spot bikers on the road with car games.

I bring this up as a literal issue we need to face as a State because I think in 2017, bike safety should be a priority--it's moving us in a positive direction. Cyclists aren't burning fossil fuel or contributing to increasing vehicle congestion, and they are trying to be fit and healthy. Yes, we need more bike paths, but in the meantime, we need to evolve out of our auto-centric culture and share the road.

Symbolically, this road sharing issue and this persons outrageous and intimidating response reveals an attitude, an ethos impeding our culture from evolving and transforming into a more civil, cooperative and hospitable society. Isn't our challenge today to figure out how to co-exist more civilly and less divisively? I think so.

If you're a cyclist or just bike friendly, feel free to drop this person a note (please be civil and engaging) in an effort to foster a change in attitudes and behaviors relative to sharing the road with bikers.

11643 South Maple City Road, Maple City, Mi. 49664.

Also, promote and support greater bike paths and safety in your community.

Thanks

Eric Macks

Oct 17, 2017, 9:24:00 AM10/17/17
to wb...@googlegroups.com
I rode in the Michigander bike tour this summer and was shocked at how aggressive motor vehicle operators were when driving past us in the Grand Traverse area. We had many sections of road along our route in which motor vehicle drivers passed bicycles with oncoming traffic present; including oncoming cars and or bicycles. I drove off the road on my bike to avoid oncoming cars and trucks.

It was clear many times that motor vehicle operators including large pick up trucks were purposely trying to intimidate the bicycle riders.

I did attempt to contact the elk Rapids Chamber of Commerce for advice as to who to talk to about the aggressive motorist on the main road coming from the south into elk Rapids. I was told by a local resident that this road was notorious for being dangerous for cyclists.

I have been riding on the road with my bicycle for many decades in Michigan and feel we are at a turning point where motorist are getting more aggressive and making road riding up north unpleasant and much less safe than in the past.

I wonder why there are never, at least in my experience, police enforcing laws with regard to motorist passing bikes with oncoming traffic. Does anyone know more about ticketing for unsafe driving in these situations?

It's interesting that this household with the lynched bicycles is in Maple city. This is an area which is fantastic for road riding but is also very close to where I saw some of the worst motor vehicle driver behavior.

The Michigander bike tour was during the most busy time of the summer, the third week of July, but there seem to be no tolerance for slowing down to safely Pass cyclist.

Without involvement from law enforcement in these counties I don't see the situation getting any better.

Eric Macks
________________________________
Oct 18, 2017, 3:47:26 PM10/18/17
to wb...@googlegroups.com
This is very disturbing! LMB is looking into this issue to figure out the best approach to have these removed. We’ll start by reaching out to local officials. We’ll keep people posted if there is a need for a letter writing campaign or other engagement from cyclists around the state.

John Lindenmayer
Executive Director
League of Michigan Bicyclists

410 S. Cedar St. Suite A
Lansing, MI 48912
(517) 334-9100
www.LMB.org
Twitter  |  Facebook

On Oct 16, 2017, at 1:05 PM, Bruce Geffen <gef...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm outraged and so is ...<22528366_10213620479415976_9126741070499219213_n.jpg> when we discovered these "lynched" bikes (read the sign) while riding in rural Leelanau County. We've been riding a long time and occasionally encounter seemingly angry and aggressive motorists who dangerously crowd us off the road as though they are entitled to not have to consider sharing it. This persons lawn display projects loudly an attitude of wanting to make the roads great again for a vehicle-centric culture by banishing cyclists to vehicle-less islands or at least the sidewalk.
--
Please note that WBWC google groups is an unmoderated forum. It was developed by the Washtenaw Bicycling and Walking Coalition as a tool for bikers and walkers to discuss key issues and share information. However, not all views expressed in this group are the views or values of WBWC. For more information about WBWC, meetings, and projects, please visit www.wbwc.org
---

Bruce Geffen