Hit by car

Bruce Geffen

Apr 1, 2016, 1:51:31 PM4/1/16
to wb...@googlegroups.com

Good afternoon.

This morning, at approximately 6:20, I was on my usual run when I was struck by a car. I was on the sidewalk crossing Colony where the stop sign is for turning right onto Packard/Eisenhower. I am not injured badly and was able to carry on with my run. The car that struck me was a tan colored Honda Civic or Accord type vehicle, sort of later model, but not new. It was an older man driving with balding and greying hair, possibly a beard and wearing glasses.

He had stopped, sort of, when I was about 2 steps into the roadway, was looking to his left, and rolled through the stop then accelerated right into me, his bumper striking the side of my left leg in the knee area. I hit his hood and bounced off, landing on my feet. He stopped to look at me for a bit, I was clutching my leg where I was hit, feeling if anything was broken. He just kept looking at me, and then drove off, heading Westbound on Eisenhower. This man never acknowledged me to ask if I was OK or needed assistance or anything.

I wasn't able to get his license plate. I didn't have my cell phone on me. I was able to continue on my run because I had to get home and hurry to work, by bike.  As the day has worn on, my leg is throbbing more and more, and getting stiff, swelling up.  I will be filing a police report. I don't want to bring charges, just let them know in case this happens again. All I would really like is for the offending driver to take responsibility for his actions by a simple apology.  And yes, I will have a check up with my doctor.

This is just letting you all know to really be careful out there.  As many negative comments there are about us who are walking or on bikes commuting, there is that many coming from us about people driving their vehicles.

Bruce Geffen

Joel Batterman

Apr 1, 2016, 1:55:12 PM4/1/16
to wb...@googlegroups.com
Oh, gosh. Glad it wasn't worse. Angry that some people are so irresponsible.

--
Please note that WBWC google groups is an unmoderated forum. It was developed by the Washtenaw Bicycling and Walking Coalition as a tool for bikers and walkers to discuss key issues and share information. However, all views expressed in this group are not the views or values of WBWC. For more information about WBWC, meetings, and projects, please visit www.wbwc.org
---

Joel Batterman
UM Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning
Motor City Freedom Riders
www.motorcityfreedomriders.org
(734) 904-5548

I would be less than a Christian if I stood back and said, because I don't ride the bus, I don't have to ride a bus, that it doesn't concern me. I will not be content. I can hear a voice saying, "If you do it unto the least of these, my brother, you do it unto me."

                     - Martin Luther King, Jr., Montgomery, AL, 1955

K Griswold

Apr 1, 2016, 3:05:45 PM4/1/16
to wb...@googlegroups.com
I'm glad you were not seriously injured. Sounds like the guy needs to be evaluated for driving privileges.
Katherine J. Griswold

Ken Freeman

Apr 1, 2016, 9:45:15 PM4/1/16
to wb...@googlegroups.com
And if he did not have grey hair?
Ken Freeman
Ann Arbor, MI USA

K Griswold

Apr 2, 2016, 9:33:41 AM4/2/16
to wb...@googlegroups.com
Ken,

Anyone involved in a hit-and-run needs to be evaluated and more. My primary concern is the driver's behavior, as described by Bruce Geffen below. I am a senior and it is not my intent to discriminate based on hair color or age.

He stopped to look at me for a bit, I was clutching my leg where I was hit, feeling if anything was broken. He just kept looking at me, and then drove off, heading Westbound on Eisenhower. This man never acknowledged me to ask if I was OK or needed assistance or anything.

Ken Freeman

Apr 2, 2016, 12:55:18 PM4/2/16
to wb...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!  I agree, regardless of anything else, there should be some evaluation of the driver.  I'm not sure how this can be organized, however.