Custom bicycle rack fabricators in Michigan

Jan Tripp

Sep 1, 2017, 3:45:34 PM9/1/17
to Washtenaw Bicycling and Walking Coalition
Can anyone suggest a Michigan based custom bicycle rack fabricator? My family and I are looking at donating two custom bicycle racks to a West Michigan museum in our home town. The customization involves  themed metal artwork my sister has designed but otherwise a conventional layout. We've talked to a fabricator in Grand Rapids but the minimum order is three times what we need. One of the national companies we contacted are reasonably priced but the customization drives up the price and so far they haven't been very responsive with our designs. The thought was if we were going to spend $$, why not work with somebody closer to home here in Michigan.

Thanks,

Jan Tripp

Ken Clark

Sep 6, 2017, 7:40:46 AM9/6/17
to wb...@googlegroups.com
Jan,

Could you put up some pictures of the designs your sister has done?  Another way to look at that minimum is that you need to find two-four other places that want to help you pay so they can have them too.  A GoFundMe project might work.  Can't remember the GR company off the top of my head, but they're probably the best in the midwest, and very competitive nationally.

Ken

Sep 6, 2017, 7:42:44 AM9/6/17
to wb...@googlegroups.com
That's funny.  As soon as I hit send, that pesky neuron sent the right signal, and "Cyclesafe" popped into my head.  They're quite good.

Ken

Sep 6, 2017, 8:47:50 AM9/6/17
to Washtenaw Bicycling and Walking Coalition, kenc...@ameritech.net
Thanks, Ken!

I've attached a sketch of two designs. The right hand design is more adaptable to a standard Dero style inverted-U hoop but needs more engineering (me) to adapt. There are several good online design guidelines so I think I'm track. Also thanks for the refer to CycleSafe in  Grand Rapids. Whoever my sister talked to in Grand Rapids wanted a minimum of six to do the project.
bike rack.jpg

Ken Freeman

Sep 6, 2017, 9:54:46 PM9/6/17
to wb...@googlegroups.com, kenc...@ameritech.net
Jan, I would also ask Matt Assenmacher at Assenmacher Cycles in Swartz Creek, and Doug Fattic at Fattic Cycles in Niles.  Both Matt and Doug may be acquainted with additional craftspeople.  Another avenue could also be Tim Potter, who runs (or ran?) the Bicycle Co-op at MSU.

Ken Freeman, Ann Arbor.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/wbwc.

Ken Freeman
Ann Arbor, MI USA

matt catanzarite

Sep 14, 2017, 12:23:22 PM9/14/17
to Washtenaw Bicycling and Walking Coalition

For the Artistic Bike Racks in Howell, MI they used Hell Creek Forge.
I like the way they look but there much more custom.

Matt