Blank preview screen

Chris

Sep 22, 2011, 2:19:24 PM9/22/11
to wax-discuss
OK, I have Windows 7 and a fairly powerful Dell Studio Desktop. I've
downloaded Wax 2.0 multiple times, but still can't get media files to
display in the preview window. Pictures are fine - I found I had to
convert them to .png files and from that point on Wax loads them and
they work fine.

At this point I'm using Wax as a stand alone and converting media
files to .avs with Freemake. No matter what I try, no matter how many
settings I change, I still can't get a media file to load and show in
the preview window. Has anyone out there encountered this problem and
overcome it? Thanks for your help.

Tom Cap

Sep 23, 2011, 8:00:36 AM9/23/11
to wax-discuss
Let's take the first potential problem: Freemake. Did you have any
problems downloading and installing the Freemake program? It requires
Microsoft .NET Framework client installation. Any problems installing
that? I got a NVIDIA driver update requirement. Did you have to
update your video driver? ok, I didn't install the video driver just
to see what would happen. I converted a short .flv file to an .avi
file using the defaults and not changing or selecting any specific
codec (the preset for the .avi conversion was "Same as Source" which
used the H.264 codec and MP3 for the audio).
The conversion went swiftly and I could import the Freemake
converted .avi file into Wax 2.0e with no problems. It showed up in
the video preview and previewed without error. I changed from "Use
Software Renderer" to "Use Hardware Acceleration" with no change in
quality.

Can you describe your installation procedure and use of Freemake?

Chris Rhetts

Sep 23, 2011, 1:19:28 PM9/23/11
to wax-d...@googlegroups.com
Tom, thanks for responding.  I'm trying to learn WAX and the problem I've had with the media files have been difficult - but you'll be happy to know your response has gone a long way towards solving it.  After I posted my request at the Debugmode forum, I downloaded XVID, which came with a mini-converter.  By converting one of my .avi files with this converter, I was finally able to bring the file up in the WAX preview screen.  But that still left me with an extra step, plus the XVID converter doesn't always work on everything.  For example, I had to convert some files to .wmv before the XVID converter would work.  What a mess!

Anyway, I've used Freemake for some time, but never really looked into the settings.  After reading your response, I brought it up to covert another file to .avi.  At the "same as source" screen, I found I could go in and set the codec to XVID.  I wouldn't have known you could do that had it not been for your mail.  I see there are some other settings on Freemake which I am going to have to learn about as well.  In any case, by changing the codec to XVID I was able to directly convert a file to .avi which came up perfectly in the WAX preview screen.

To answer your question, I had no problems downloading Freemake. So I guess my only problem was not knowing how to use the settings.  By the way, not to pester you, but I'm having to convert most of my image files to .png before they will show up in the preview screen.  I have this problem even after I change the WAX settings to agree with the size of the .jpg image.  Its not a huge problem, but if you have any thoughts on this they would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,
-Chris

david

Sep 23, 2011, 4:24:39 PM9/23/11
to wax-d...@googlegroups.com
I have the same problem. The video files will not load no matter what. I've converted them using multiple convertors and have no success. I even sent a sample .avi file here for others to try...it loaded for them but still wont load for me. I have installed and uninstalled and reinstalled Wax 2.0 many times and still no luck. Soi if you find a solution, PLEASE pass it along to me!

Thanks

Chris

Sep 23, 2011, 4:46:52 PM9/23/11
to wax-discuss
David,

If you read my response to "Tom Cap", you should see how to solve this
problem. You can convert your video files to .avi files using
Freemake and they will load onto WAX. But you have to make sure that
Freemake converts them using the XVID codec. You can easily find and
download both Freemake and XVID, if they are not already on your
computer. Then, when you convert a video file to avi, Freemake will
bring up a screen which reads "AVI output parameters". The default
setting is "same as source" - but you have to change that. Click the
"preset" window and then "add your preset". Change the video codec to
"XVID". Now Freemake will convert your video files to .avi using the
XVID codec and they should load into WAX just fine.

Will

Sep 12, 2012, 5:25:02 PM9/12/12
to wax-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey you guys! I've finally found a good way! :D
Okay so you download this program called Virtual Dub,
http://www.virtualdub.org/ (PC only I think) it records avi files that are valid to Wax 2.0!

I know your pain, Chris. I have been trying for a LONG time. So when you open virtualdub,
you go to File> Capture avi, then you connect your capture device then select it ( Device> )
but before you start recording, go to File> Set capture file (F1) And name it whatever you want, put it wherever you want,
then click Save. (This has not been ACTUALLY saved yet) Then when you're all set, go to
Capture> Capture video (F5 or F6) then when you're done recording go to Capture> Stop capture
(Esc) And then you go to Wax click Project> Add Media files then choose wherever you saved
it, then import them, then the video is showing on the preview. If it still won't show up, I'm sorry.
I'll be researching some more, but if it does, SPREAD THE WORD!!! :D

Shawn Dorsey

Dec 5, 2012, 7:02:17 PM12/5/12
to wax-d...@googlegroups.com
            Any Video Converter, its free & it does the job. It automatically converts .avi with XVID. My .avi wasn't playing in Wax so I ran it through Any Video Converter & it worked. Thanks for posting this. I would never have thought of doing that without first reading this.

Sean Albuquerque

Jan 8, 2013, 8:18:24 AM1/8/13
to wax-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

   Just figured out how to load files into Wax(on my system at least). For 3 months I could not get Wax to play my files. Today by chance I uninstalled the Haali media splitter, that I had installed some months ago, when I was downloading some mkv files. After that Wax works like a dream. Loads all my avi files.I suggest that if you guys have any kind of external splitter(one that did not come with Windows), uninstall it and see if Wax works then. If for example you have Matroska (mkv) files that you think will not play because you don't have the splitter, use VLC media player. It will play them.
The way the splitter works is that it splits the video file into video and audio streams, and then passes them on to the appropriate decoders. An unfortunate side effect of this is that when you are using a video editing program like Wax or Zweistein, some splitters will not pass the streams into the editing program in a manner that it can read. So uninstalling the splitter seems to be the only way out. Worked for me at least! Good luck!

Sean

Btw, I have Windows 7 on an i5

Endi Tube

Dec 4, 2014, 8:39:17 AM12/4/14
to wax-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I had the same problem,

Here is my possible solution: WAX doesn't like videos with some framerates. --- I created a new project, added a video with 30fps, it didn't work (video stuck on the first frame). But after I added exactly the same video with previously changed framerate to 25fps (done in ffmpeg) into another new project, it worked!!!! So it may be something about it.

I hope it helps you.