FW: WA AGO - An Exciting Opportunity with the Solicitor General's Office

Nightingale, Noel

Jan 23, 2015, 11:37:00 AM1/23/15
to Washington Attorneys with Disabilities Association (WashingtonAttorneyswithDisabilitiesAssociation@googlegroups.com)

From: Nakamura, Linda (ATG) [mailto:Lin...@atg.wa.gov]
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2015 5:36 PM
Subject: WA AGO - An Exciting Opportunity with the Solicitor General's Office

Greetings!  The Attorney General’s Office has an exciting and rare opportunity in its Solicitor General’s Office.  If you would be so kind as to share this information with your membership, I would be incredibly grateful.

PDF:

TEXT:

An exciting opportunity exists in the Solicitor General’s Office of the Washington State Attorney General’s Office.

Agency Profile

The Attorney General’s Office serves clients in more than 230 state agencies, boards, commissions, colleges, and universities, as well as the Legislature and the Governor. We also serve the public through our Consumer Protection and Antitrust Divisions and our Public Counsel Section. Our mission is to deliver to officials, agencies, and citizens of Washington State the highest quality professional legal services.

The Position

The Solicitor General’s Division has an opening for a Deputy Solicitor General. The Solicitor General’s Division is the division within the Attorney General’s Office responsible for United States Supreme Court practice, appellate assistance programs, coordinating amicus briefs, preparing Attorney General Opinions, writing ballot measure materials, coordinating statewide legal issues, and at times directly representing the state in appellate matters. The attorney selected for this position will assist attorneys throughout the Attorney General’s Office with their appeals, handle certain appeals himself or herself (including briefing and argument), sit on moot court panels, prepare amicus briefs, and assist in preparing and reviewing Attorney General Opinions and ballot measure materials. The position has previously been located in Olympia, and that is the preferred location, but Seattle may also be an option.

Compensation

Salary is dependent upon experience and commensurate with comparable positions in the Attorney General’s Office. A standard state benefits package is offered which includes a choice of medical/dental insurance plans, retirement, life and basic long-term disability insurance.

Desired Qualifications

Candidates should possess excellent analytical, writing, and oral advocacy skills, significant appellate experience, and a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues. Qualified applicants will have demonstrated a high degree of competence based on prior experiences and academic achievement. Applicants must have graduated from a law school accredited by the ABA or completed the WSBA’s Rule 6 Law Clerk Program and be licensed to practice law in Washington state.

Application Process

Interested applicants must submit a letter of interest, a completed application form, a current resume, law school transcript and writing sample to Linda Nakamura at linda.n...@atg.wa.gov. Applications can be obtained at http://www.atg.wa.gov/Careers/AttorneysClerks.aspx or by contacting Linda. For information about the position, please contact Solicitor General Noah Purcell at No...@atg.wa.gov. The deadline for receipt of all application material is 5:00 p.m. on February 6, 2015. (If you are a current member of the AGO’s attorney hiring pool and wish to be considered for this position, please submit a letter of interest to Linda by the deadline date.)

The AGO respects and encourages diversity in the work force and is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity diversity, age, honorably discharged veteran, veteran status, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability. Persons requiring reasonable accommodation in the application process or requiring any information in an alternative format may contact Tracy Robinson at 360-586-7693 or Washington Relay Service at 1-800-676-3777 or www.washingtonrelay.com.

Linda Nakamura

Linda Nakamura

Attorney and Law Clerk Recruitment Administrator

Washington State Attorney General's Office

800 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2000

Seattle, WA   98104

(206) 464-6446

Contents of this e-mail may be privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure. Any review, dissemination, or use of this e-mail or its contents by other than the addressee is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact me and delete it.

In consideration and preservation of our natural resources, please print this e-mail only if necessary.

SGO 2.6.15.pdf