FW: [Suspect Bulk Mail] Success on Questions of Discrimination

Nightingale, Noel

Jun 10, 2016, 6:24:16 PM6/10/16
to Washington Attorneys with Disabilities Association (WashingtonAttorneyswithDisabilitiesAssociation@googlegroups.com)

From: Disability Rights Washington [mailto:in...@dr-wa.org]
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2016 2:36 PM
To: Nightingale, Noel
Subject: [Suspect Bulk Mail] Success on Questions of Discrimination

Disability Rights Washington

Together we helped end discrimination on the Washington State Bar application!

images of many people's hands in a pile uniting them in being in this together

Dear Advocates,

A short while ago we asked for your support on the final stages of having discriminatory questions removed from the Washington State bar application.

Today we learned of a victory which is a step forward in ending the stigma of mental health issues. The Washington State Supreme Court adopted the Character & Fitness amendments that were recommended. The amendments will be effective September 1, 2016. The amended admissions application will also be in use beginning September 1st - just in time for the Winter 2017 bar exam applicants.

Here is some background on the issue: In 2014, Disability Rights Washington began working on this critical issue and enlisted your support. Dozens of leaders including Attorney General Ferguson and the deans of all three law schools in Washington signed a letter (PDF) to end that discriminatory practice. The letter was a huge success! The Washington State Bar Association (WSBA) Board of Governors agreed to eliminate all questions about bar applicants' mental health status and issued a proposal that we helped to draft. The final step was to secure approval from the Washington State Supreme Court. We launched a video and several more dozens of advocates signed that letter asking the Supreme Court to approve of these changes. And today we can announce that success!

We thank you for your support and efforts to have these questions removed. It wouldn't have happened without you! A special thank you to our Creative Team, all that appeared in the Questions of Discrimination video, the law schools, and to DRW's own Emily Cooper for her tireless advocacy on this issue.

Washington State is now a leader in ensuring the diversity of the legal community reflects the clients it serves. We hope this leadership serves as a model to change these rules across the country.

Thank you for your support,

Mark G Stroh signature
Mark Stroh

Executive Director
Disability Rights Washington

Rooted in Rights

DRW

Donate

YouTube

Facebook

Twitter

RSS

Rooted in Rights

xxx

View this in a browser

Match DRW information to your interests.
Modify your profile.
Unsubscribe from all emails

xxx

This email is sent by: