Choosing from many Options

Vernma

Nov 24, 2015, 7:04:04 AM11/24/15
to Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
I have a large database application which presents oil and gas industry information about gas company systems.

It's purpose is to allow a gas company operator compare their system from the 1000's of other gas companies in the US.

There are as many as 200+ possible filters into this data which might be categorized in up to 20 different categories. Most are numeric and would allow entry of min and max limits.

Any suggestions as to a paradigm for presenting all of these filters in a reasonable fashion? I would probably have them choose the filters they want and then have them enter their settings for those chosen.

The app might also be used from mobile devices.

So many filters, so little real estate.

TIA.

Vernon

Oscar Merida

Nov 24, 2015, 9:45:39 AM11/24/15
to Vernma, Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
Use apache solr to index and query the data, use facets to manage the presentation of filters. This would work well particularly if your filters are dependent on each other.

William Hurley

Nov 24, 2015, 9:47:35 AM11/24/15
to Oscar Merida, Vernma, Washington, DC PHP Developers Group

You might also want to look at ElasticSearch. It has some neat features like rivers and percolate that Solr doesn't have. AWS also has a pretty decent managed service for it if you don't want to install it yourself.

--
William Hurley
Manager, Technical Development

Forum One: Extend Your Influence

Samantha Quinones

Nov 24, 2015, 9:53:21 AM11/24/15
to William Hurley, Oscar Merida, Vernma, Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
I have to second Elasticsearch. You can get all the same functionality as solr through indexes and index aliases, plus a lot of features that solr lacks. :)

Oscar Merida

Nov 24, 2015, 9:58:42 AM11/24/15
to Samantha Quinones, William Hurley, Vernma, Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
Sounds like I/We need a talk on elasticsearch

William Hurley

Nov 24, 2015, 10:13:01 AM11/24/15
to Oscar Merida, Samantha Quinones, Vernma, Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
Depending on your schedule I can volunteer to give one.

Andrew Cassell

Nov 24, 2015, 10:13:05 AM11/24/15
to Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
If you are looking for user interface suggestions kayak.com has always been one of the best sites (in my opinion) at presenting a complex set of filters on both desktop and mobile (the site isn't responsive but it's easy enough make a responsive version by combining the two designs). They do a nice job of simplifying the criteria and hiding more complex options.
Personally, I would try to avoid complex filtering unless your users are "power users". I think people find it easier if you lead them down a path asking one question at a time (what would be your filter options) and then they land at their destination with the data they are expecting. If you can build a "dashboard" where they can be taken to the most common filter options that's another good option. Otherwise, they land on a page with a bunch of data that they don't care about and then they have to try and figure out how to interact with a complex filter.
One other important bit of advice: if you make your filtering reload the data with javascript make sure you update the URL as people will send links to the results page and wonder why the link they click on doesn't have the right data.

Vernma

Nov 24, 2015, 10:31:45 AM11/24/15
to Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
Thanks to all. It seems I sparked interest in a different topic.

I'm mostly interested in the client presentation rather than the back end management. Solr is a great product but I already have that part worked out.

I'll look at Kayak and leave Elasticsearch to you all.

Thank you; much appreciated.

Vernon

Samantha Quinones

Nov 24, 2015, 10:32:14 AM11/24/15
to Washington, DC PHP Developers Group, os...@oscarm.org, ieatkil...@gmail.com, ver...@gmail.com
That would be fantastic. :) Let's talk!

Sandy Smith

Nov 24, 2015, 12:10:17 PM11/24/15
to Vernma, DC PHP Developers Group Washington
Amazon is another good model, especially for the desktop version. Remember that most people can only keep 5-9 options in mind at once, though if presented a large list they can select from them if that’s the only task they have.

This might actually be a good question for a UX group. Not sure if NoVA UX has a mailing list or allows messages on their forum, but that’s a place to look. They’re on Meetup.

-Sandy

Sandy Smith - http://musketeers.me/
php[architect] magazine: http://phparch.com/

@SandyS1