great projects!

dani

Jul 2, 2007, 6:12:00 AM7/2/07
to warp-core

hello dhanji and all others:

i've been reading you in the guice group; couple of weeks i saw your
project and i decided to give it a try this weekend... with dispare
results...

the first thing is i really like very much the direction that your
project is taken... i agree with lot of java developers that tapestry
is great framework but also complex... i like guice philosophy and how
are you addapting it to a web framework... great!
i've implemented a guice-jpa integration withing a couple of projects
in the last two months and i was excited with the WebExtensions
Persist and the Dynamic Finders (something i would like to implement
some time ago, i tryied and i failed... :( )

so, i started with a svn co and then the first suprise: no maven
support... then i read you docs and i discover it ("Oh god do I hate
maven"...) ok, lets back to the old (and not very pleasure, for me)
times of ant!...

ok i build the jar, i build my own maven project, install the warp-
core.jar and every seems to work great!

i made some test and everything works great but the problems came with
the WebExtensions Persist... after juggling with all the dependencies
i came with something executable by maven... but ...
DEBUG [ComponentHandlerBuilder] - Text component discovered, building
as RawText Component...
DEBUG [WarpModuleAssemblyBuilder] - Binding page to provider (in
guice) and to URI : /Experts
DEBUG [WarpModuleAssemblyBuilder] - Binding page to provider (in
guice) and to URI : /Welcome
com.google.inject.CreationException: Guice configuration errors:

1) Error at com.calc.apy.pages.Lifecycle.<init>(Lifecycle.java:8):
Binding to com.wideplay.warp.persist.PersistenceService not found. No
bindings to that type were found.

1 error[s]
at com.google.inject.BinderImpl.createInjector(BinderImpl.java:
277)
at com.google.inject.Guice.createInjector(Guice.java:79)
at com.google.inject.Guice.createInjector(Guice.java:53)
at com.google.inject.Guice.createInjector(Guice.java:43)
at
com.wideplay.warp.internal.WarpModuleAssemblyBuilder.configureGuice(Unknown
Source)
at
com.wideplay.warp.internal.WarpModuleAssemblyBuilder.build(Unknown
Source)
at
com.wideplay.warp.internal.Builders.buildWarpModuleAssembly(Unknown
Source)
at com.wideplay.warp.WarpFilter.init(Unknown Source)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.FilterHolder.doStart(FilterHolder.java:99)
at
org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:
40)
... more...

ok, i tryied ant:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<project name="apy">
<description>apy</description>

<property file="build.properties" />

<path id="core.classpath">
<fileset dir="${lib}">
<include name="**/*.jar" />
</fileset>
</path>

<path id="jetty.classpath">
<fileset dir="${jetty.lib}" includes="**/*.jar" />
</path>

<target name="package">
<war basedir="${apy.resources}" destfile="${dir.distribute}/$
{apy.artifact}" webxml="${apy.webxml}">
<lib dir="${lib}">
<exclude name="javaee.jar" />
<include name="**/*.jar" />
</lib>
<classes dir="${build}" />
</war>
</target>

<target name="jetty">
<taskdef classpathref="jetty.classpath" resource="tasks.properties"
loaderref="jetty.loader" />
<jetty>
<webapp name="${apy.webapp}" contextPath="${apy.context-path}"
warfile="${dir.distribute}/${apy.artifact}" />
</jetty>
</target>

<target name="deploy" depends="package">
<fail unless="tomcat.home">Please set tomcat.home value.</fail>
<copy tofile="${tomcat.home}/webapps/" file="${dir.distribute}/$
{apy.artifact}" />
</target>

</project>

but jetty task didnt work...
>> C:\workspace4\apy\build.xml:30: Problem: failed to create task or type jetty
>> Cause: The name is undefined.

so, at this point i'm not able to run my project :(

i'm a little bit desperate now... willing to use warp and frustrated
with all the plumbing... any idea and some help?

thank you very much
and continue with implementing your excelent ideas...

Dhanji R. Prasanna

Jul 2, 2007, 8:03:05 PM7/2/07
to warp...@googlegroups.com
On 7/2/07, dani <dan...@gmail.com> wrote:

hello dhanji and all others:

i've been reading you in the guice group; couple of weeks i saw your
project and i decided to give it a try this weekend... with dispare
results...

the first thing is i really like very much the direction that your
project is taken... i agree with lot of java developers that tapestry
is great framework but also complex... i like guice philosophy and how
are you addapting it to a web framework... great!

Great! Thanks for the kind words. We are *very* keen on improving Warp and the general state of WebMVCs (one of the reasons Im on the JSF2 expert group).
Would love to hear your feedback on improving both Warp and the JPA integration. Btw, are you using Hibernate or something else (openjpa?) as the JPA engine?

so, i started with a svn co and then the first suprise: no maven
support... then i read you docs and i discover it ("Oh god do I hate
maven"...) ok, lets back to the old (and not very pleasure, for me)
times of ant!...

Hehe. Neither Josh nor I use maven, so I dont think it was ever considered. But I appreciate that people do like it: I wouldn't mind supporting a maven2 pom if you (or someone) were willing to write and help maintain it?

I've answered this in another thread (there is also a wiki page linked from the documentation for WebExtensions describing how to do this in Warp: http://code.google.com/p/warp-core/wiki/WarpPersistence  ).

        <target name="jetty">
                <taskdef classpathref="jetty.classpath" resource="tasks.properties"
loaderref="jetty.loader" />
                <jetty>
                        <webapp name="${apy.webapp}" contextPath="${apy.context-path}"
warfile="${dir.distribute}/${apy.artifact}" />
                </jetty>
        </target>

You need to declare the jetty library classpath. We should probably have a <fail> task that gives a helpful error msg. I blame Josh ;)
here is what I have in my build-example.properties:

jetty.home=/var/jetty-6.1.0
jetty.lib=${jetty.home}/lib

point it to your jetty home dir.

Dhanji.

Josh McDonald

Jul 2, 2007, 8:26:25 PM7/2/07
to warp...@googlegroups.com
Hey man, you do the jetty stuff, I'm just using tomcat =)
--
"This is crazy! Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone... She'll never leave Fred and we know it. "

:: Josh 'G-Funk' McDonald
:: 0437 221 380 :: jo...@gfunk007.com