Question on taking Video of Public Roadways for Pedestrian and Bicycle Counts and Legal/Best Practices of Taking Video of the Public

Julie Luna

Apr 10, 2014, 5:49:42 PM4/10/14
to walk-bi...@googlegroups.com

Dear Walk-Bike Count Group,

I want to ask how you handle video data in terms of letting the public know what you are doing as well as the legal ramifications of collecting video.

We place cameras out to observe short-term pedestrian behavior, particularly the frequency of mid-block crossings. We process the video manually. I have heard that some agencies publish the date and location the video was taken along with the date they will delete the video from their files.

I hope you could share your practices and experiences.

The battery box of one of our cameras was mistaken as a bomb recently. Although we have our agency’s name and contact prominently  displayed on the box I would like to have an additional way to let the public know what we are doing. This bomb scare caused a lot of grief.

Thanks so much,

Julie

Julie Luna

Transportation Planner