Fwd: FW: ORcycle Bicycle Crowdsourcing outreach

Krista Nordback

Nov 13, 2014, 1:23:28 PM11/13/14
to walk-bi...@googlegroups.com, Edie Gillis, Elizabeth Graser-Lindsey, James Lindsey, Richard Brenne, Krista Nordback, Jolene Liu, Bryan Blanc, WEIDNER Tara J
Hi All!
   There's a new bicycle App out (based on the CycleTracks app, originally from San Francisco, but modified in Atlanta). This one has been customized for Oregon by Prof. Miguel Figliozzi and graduate researcher Bryan Blanc at Portland State University on a project for Oregon DOT.
    You can download the app and use it to provide valuable information on bicycling conditions and safety. If you're not in Oregon, you can still use it. Not sure what they'll do with that info, but anyway... Try it out.
Details below.
   Forward to others! Especially people who live in Oregon. They don't have to be "bicyclists." They want to get everyone involved!
-Krista

Krista Nordback, Ph.D., P.E.
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Transportation Research and Education Center (TREC)
Portland State University
office:  503-725-2897

New app lets bicycle riders share valuable information. ODOT and PSU have partnered on a new crowd-sourcing smartphone bike app that will collect data to help calibrate bicycle planning tools, highlight safety needs and new intermodal connections, and better understand Oregon bicycling behavior across the state.

We need to hear from all levels of users to get a complete picture. We also hope to gather safety issues and non-fatal crashes or near misses. Non-fatal crashes are significantly under-reported. Your feedback is crucial to identify locations with safety problems!

Press release link: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/COMM/Pages/nr14110701.aspx

ORcycle-Flyer with QR.pdf