Error: Could not resolve host for AWS_REGION

Dan Yanetta

Mar 6, 2016, 11:36:37 PM3/6/16
to wal-e
Hello!

Trying to do a backup-push and getting an error. This weekend is my first attempt at using wal-e, so Im not even sure I have everything setup correctly - please forgive if this is a simple mistake...

I am using version 0.9.0 - which Im sure was obvious from the error msg.

I'm getting the following error message:
[postgres@db03 9.4]$ envdir /etc/wal-e.d/env /usr/local/bin/wal-e backup-push /data/postgres/9.4
wal_e.main   INFO     MSG: starting WAL-E
        DETAIL: The subcommand is "backup-push".
        STRUCTURED: time=2016-03-07T04:25:14.349824-00 pid=459
wal_e.main   ERROR    MSG: Could not resolve host for AWS_REGION
        DETAIL: AWS_REGION is set to "us-standard".
        STRUCTURED: time=2016-03-07T04:25:14.367913-00 pid=459

My WALE_S3_PREFIX = s3://s3.amazonaws.com/bucket/db03-folder
MY AWS_REGION = us-standard

I'm guessing I'm just not using the right region names or bucket address, but with the bleeding edge version of wal-e, I havent been able to find any examples of what Im supposed to use.  =(

Thanks for any help or tips!
-dan

Daniel Farina

Mar 6, 2016, 11:48:18 PM3/6/16
to dyan...@gmail.com, wal-e
Use us-east-1. The message could stand to be improved.

Dan Yanetta

Mar 7, 2016, 6:55:30 PM3/7/16
to wal-e, dyan...@gmail.com
Awesome! Thanks for quick reply.  Yes - that was the problem. So dumb - I still dont understand where and when to use these new(?) region names.  Apologies for a simple mistake!

Daniel Farina

Mar 7, 2016, 7:01:25 PM3/7/16
to dyan...@gmail.com, wal-e
On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 3:55 PM Dan Yanetta <dyan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Awesome! Thanks for quick reply.  Yes - that was the problem. So dumb - I still dont understand where and when to use these new(?) region names.  Apologies for a simple mistake!

Yeah, well, I only knew this because if you consult the documentation for how to do AWS Sigv4 signatures against us-standard/s3 classic, it says "use us-east-1". But yet in other places, e.g. the Location constraint when creating a bucket, one cannot use that identifier.

So it's a bit gnarly all around.