Securely transferring data from Postgres to Amazon S3 using WAL-E

mdic...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2015, 11:24:34 PM2/8/15
to wa...@googlegroups.com
First time poster. New to WAL-E but it seems like a fantastic tool.

I would like use WAL-E to backup my PostgreSQL database to Amazon S3. I am trying to determine if the data is encrypted in transit from Postgres to S3 using SSL/TLS but the documentation is not entirely clear on this point. Searching the forums suggest it is using SSL and I see WAL-E uses boto library that I believe by default uses SSL/TLS but can anybody confirm or tell me how to configure WAL-E to ensure it does in fact use SSL/TLS?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel Farina

Feb 9, 2015, 2:36:28 PM2/9/15
to mdic...@gmail.com, wal-e
WAL-E used to only support TLS.

Only by setting specific values for "WALE_S3_ENDPOINT" is thought to
be able to disable it (e.g. for on-prem installations of radosgw).

mdic...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2015, 4:31:08 PM2/9/15
to wa...@googlegroups.com, mdic...@gmail.com
Awesome, thanks!