Google Storage: /folder vs //folder

mirek....@gmail.com

May 26, 2017, 8:07:12 AM5/26/17
to wal-e
Hi,
I try make backups to Google Storage.
I have bucket and folder (and same in /etc/wal-e.d/env/WALE_GS_PREFIX):
gs://backup-pg/mzDebian

The backup looks like it is running without problems.
However in console of Google Storage I see nothing in the bucket
and I see nothing (but the empty existing folder) using gsutil ls gs://backup-pg/mzDebian

But using gsutil ls gs://backup-pg//mzDebian (ie. with //)
I see the archived files.

Is this Ok?
Can someone explain it to me?
Thanks.....

Mirek Zvolsky

May 26, 2017, 8:20:18 AM5/26/17
to wal-e
UPDATE:
I just found that I see the files in the Google web console.
There is the folder mzDebian/ which I made in the web console.
In addition there is a new folder with "name": "/", and inside it next mzDebian/ with proper backup content.
????

I still don't understand this,
but probably it can be used so.....

Daniel Farina

May 26, 2017, 1:16:55 PM5/26/17
to mirek....@gmail.com, wal-e
Yeah, this is a long-standing bug. I didn't realize it messed up Google Storage's console, though. The reason it hasn't been fixed is because it could break old backups.

Maybe the next release? (and I'll advise folks to put an extra slash in the changelog).