On Switching to Python3

Daniel Farina

Jul 13, 2016, 4:13:29 PM7/13/16
to wal-e
Hello everyone,

I have made a thusfar successful and complete port of WAL-E to Python 3.4 and Python 3.5. I am thinking of releasing v1.0 as a Python3-only project.

The main motivations is that, at long last, Python2 is being left behind both in theory and in practice, and Python3 has been available on a number of platforms for some time. On the other side of the coin, WAL-E is stable and does not change much, so v0.9 will likely sufficient for two years at least.

However, availability of Python3.4+ interpreters is still my biggest concern: to how many here is this a problem? Notably, getting a copy still seems to be a do-it-yourself project on RHEL6-oriented operating systems.  How are people getting their Pythons there?

I also would like to find beta users first and spend a little longer in this phase.

Please send me your comments. Thanks.