database more than 400GB

luizmu...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2017, 9:55:38 AM7/24/17
to wal-e
Hi there

I have one database with more than 400GB, and I starting to try wal-e to make a backup in S3.

I started the base backup and after 8 hours the backup does not completed.

I saw in the s3, and there ware a lot of compacted files, and I looked at to the instance usage and aparentilly everything is right

Someone knows if i need to change something?

Have you used wal-e for backup on a database of this size?

Daniel Farina

Jul 24, 2017, 1:59:41 PM7/24/17
to luizmu...@gmail.com, wal-e
Yeah, I have. Considerably larger databases, also...is WAL-E doing useful work, or is it somehow stuck?

luizmu...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2017, 4:15:44 PM7/24/17
to wal-e, luizmu...@gmail.com
Daniel Farina, your basic backup, how long does it take to average?

I will look again at the consuming of disk, I think that is the bottleneck

Daniel Farina

Jul 24, 2017, 5:14:51 PM7/24/17
to luizmu...@gmail.com, wal-e
On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 1:15 PM <luizmu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Daniel Farina, your basic backup, how long does it take to average?

I will look again at the consuming of disk, I think that is the bottleneck

A fairly fast machine with the right disk bandwidth can handle 200MiB/s. But conservatively, 30MiB/s is an easy goal to meet.