Tagging

Lora Friedenthal

Dec 1, 2014, 8:54:44 PM12/1/14
to wagn...@googlegroups.com
Can someone explain to me how tagging works?

I don't use it on TeenWolfWiki, but my friends want to build a sister site that will either house entire articles or house links to articles, and they want to be able to tag them with the subject matter at hand.

Tags are only useful if you can click on them to bring up all the things that are tagged that way, so I'm guessing that must not be too hard to do? A tag should be, like, an automatic form of search function, right?

Ethan McCutchen

Dec 2, 2014, 6:52:46 PM12/2/14
to wagn...@googlegroups.com
You pretty much just touch somebody, and then they're IT.

;)

I created a very crude feature card here: http://wagn.org/Tagging

I'll try to find time to make it more readable and helpful soon, but in the meantime others are most welcome to chip in! (Especially with better examples)

-ethan

Ethan McCutchen
One of the Wagneers, Wagn.org

Wagn. How pioneers roll.

s: ethan.mccutchen
t: @intogreater

Lora Friedenthal

Dec 5, 2014, 11:24:37 AM12/5/14
to wagn...@googlegroups.com
:-P

So based on the things that are built in, if I have an article and put a +tags card in it, then when someone is looking at the page, they can just click on any of the tags to get an automatic search for all cards with that tag?

-Lora

Brandon WilliamsCraig

Dec 5, 2014, 1:15:00 PM12/5/14
to wagn...@googlegroups.com
So...how would the inclusion work?
I want to include a card in http://wagn.org/tagging which is a simple list of all relevant tags.
I hope to see among them the tag "tagging", click on it, and see a search list of all cards tagged with the tag "tagging".
What should I put {{here}}?

Brandon

from Brandon WilliamsCraig Ph.D.
bra...@culturesmith.com
Skype bdwilliamscraig (510) 962-3921
Association Building Community (866) 236-0346 fax/voice

Ethan McCutchen

Dec 5, 2014, 2:28:59 PM12/5/14
to wagn...@googlegroups.com
Very meta!

To find all the tags, you can create a search card for tags (here named "tagsearch") where the WQL looks something like this:

{ "referred_to_by": {"right":"tag"} }

...which essentially means "all the cards referred to by cards ending in +tag".  To include that card with each item as a link, you could do:

{{ tagsearch || link }}

..which means, include the tagsearch card, showing each item in link view.  But that's not yet quite what you want, because it would just link to the cards themselves, not to a search for all the cards tagged by them.  To create that link for things tagged with "beautiful", you'd want to go to "beautiful+*tagged".  To do that in a patterned way, you could make a new structure, something like:

[[ +*tagged | {{_|name}} ]]

Supposing you called that card "tagstructure" (I recommend the HTML type for such things, but Basic would work, too).  You would then get the final result you want with something like this:

{{ tagsearch ||content;structure:tagstructure }}

This means: include the tagsearch card, showing each item in content view, but replacing the content with the structure from the 'tagstructure' card.

Lora Friedenthal

Dec 5, 2014, 10:21:00 PM12/5/14
to wagn...@googlegroups.com
I... cannot even follow what this produces as a result. So I'm hoping what I'm after is much simpler. =)

-Lora