an introduction and some questions

Drew H

Jan 12, 2014, 5:24:43 PM1/12/14
to wagn...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

After a few days of playing around with Wagn I'm hooked. I want to become a wagneer and am excited to get involved.

I'm a web designer/developer with a focus on activism and community resilience (if the activism doesn't produce the desired results ;) I'm also a FLOSS ideologue.

My technical strengths are in HTML/CSS but I have a fairly good understanding of programming. I'm that rare breed of designer who loves UNIX and can understand for loops.

Currently I'm living out of a backpack so I've got lots of free time to explore the world (both digital and otherwise). I'm working for NYCPrepared on their wagn (knowledge.nycprepared.org) and am starting a new Wagn for a brooklyn based group called {open}set (http://wiki.openset.cc/)

You can see the new skin I'm working on over at wiki.openset.cc

I've also been playing around with Wagn as a productivity system on my localhost, here are some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/e5rQf

After a few full days of poking around I'm faced with two major questions:

1. Where can I find a complete list of key:value pairs for EVERYTHING. On the inclusion syntax page the "show" key mentions a value of "title_link" but I can't find anything even talking about this anywhere. I feel like there is a lot more I can do with the inclusion syntax but am unable to find it. Is "title_link" just another name for "linkname"? What other things can I pass to show/hide?

2. Related to the above question... I want to edit what shows up in the new card dialog. For instance, when I make a card type task and edit it's structure (task+*type+*structure) is there a way to use inclusion syntax to hide cards? Perhaps I want to show +cards on the constructed card but don't want to overwhelm people who click on new/task...

I look forward to getting to know everyone and participating in building this project!

- Drew

Ethan McCutchen

Jan 13, 2014, 2:37:57 PM1/13/14
to wagn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Drew,

Great stuff.  Welcome to the community!

My technical strengths are in HTML/CSS but I have a fairly good understanding of programming. I'm that rare breed of designer who loves UNIX and can understand for loops.

Yup, you sound perfect for Wagneering :)  And perhaps a bit more.  We talk about there being 4 main Wagn user groups with the acronym "REWD":
  • Reader - passive content consumer
  • Editor - active content contributor
  • Wagneer - structure, design, ux
  • Developer - writes ruby and javascript
But with the arrival of 2.0, we're really introducing a fourth group, which, for lack of a better word, I call Modders: those who create Wagn mods. The mods also involve ruby and javascript, but don't require much knowledge of Wagn's architecture.  I mention this in part to say that it could be a great fit for your technical curiosity, and in part because mods are likely part of the answer to your two questions.

1. Where can I find a complete list of key:value pairs for EVERYTHING. On the inclusion syntax page the "show" key mentions a value of "title_link" but I can't find anything even talking about this anywhere. I feel like there is a lot more I can do with the inclusion syntax but am unable to find it. Is "title_link" just another name for "linkname"? What other things can I pass to show/hide?

The "inclusion syntax" card has a complete list of keys.  Many of the values are, by their nature, not things that can be listed exhaustively. Eg, where the value is "any card name", or "any card type", the list would obviously vary considerably by site.  The same actually goes for views, since creating views is the most common thing to do in a mod.

As for the specific example you mention (show/hide), then the only reliable way to get a "complete" list of use cases is to look through the code for optional_render calls.  We don't always document everything that is possible to do with inclusion syntax immediately, because we like giving new functionality a trial period.  Once the docs say something works, then folks will start using inclusion syntax and we will be obliged either to keep supporting that functionality in perpetuity or to make a big deal of migrating/fixing things when they change.  We try very hard not to break existing sites; rolling out new functionality quietly helps with that!  In the near future, this trial period will almost certainly be done with mods, but for now we're still occasionally doing this in the core.

So, I'll answer your question, but please be advised that all of the following functionality is use-at-your-own-risk.  We're not promising to keep supporting these yet, so an upgrade could break things:

Things you can show/hide:
  • title_link: if you do {{cardname|titled;show:title_link}}, then the title itself will be linked, rather than just text
  • comment_box (requires comment permission.  this is part of a longer term commenting overhaul)
  • menu: eg, to show the gear menu in titled view
  • paging: eg, to hide the paging in search cards
none of these options are universal; they only apply to views that know what to do with them.

2. Related to the above question... I want to edit what shows up in the new card dialog. For instance, when I make a card type task and edit it's structure (task+*type+*structure) is there a way to use inclusion syntax to hide cards? Perhaps I want to show +cards on the constructed card but don't want to overwhelm people who click on new/task...

Show/hide only applies to views, not cards.  However, if you use a custom "structure" rule, you can override the form used in a given context.

Hope that helps!  Looking forward to seeing what you create.

-ethan

Ethan McCutchen
One of the Wagneers, Wagn.org

Wagn. How pioneers roll.