"Stories About Storytelling," 5pm this Thursday at PARC

Wade Roush

Apr 28, 2013, 6:25:39 PM4/28/13
to wade...@googlegroups.com
Hello friends --

This is a special edition of my Google Groups newsletter to let you know about a special event that's coming up. Special for me, anyway! I've been invited to give a talk as part of the PARC Forum Speaker Series at the Palo Alto Research Center. It's coming up this Thursday, May 2, from 5:00 to 6:30 pm, in PARC's Pake Auditorium.

The title of the talk is "Stories About Storytelling: A Personal Journey in Technology." Here's the abstract:

We all use our smartphones to send text messages, check e-mail, surf the Web, get driving directions, and make the occasional phone call. But we tend to forget that our mobile gadgets are also powerful machines for storytelling---in fact, never before have so many people had the tools to capture and share their experiences through video, sound, still images, and text.

In this talk Wade Roush, a longtime science and technology writer who heads the San Francisco office of tech news site Xconomy, will argue that we all make sense of our lives through stories. He’ll survey the devices and apps that can make us all into more effective storytellers, teachers, and learners, and will share anecdotes from his own years as a journalist that drive home the power of a good story to excite, persuade, or enlighten.

I've been practicing this talk for a while, and I promise it will be entertaining!

Admission is free and the public is welcome. I'd love to see a few friendly faces in the audience. The full scoop about the event is here: http://www.parc.com/event/1900/stories-about-storytelling.html

If you can't attend in person, I've been told that PARC will live-stream the presentation on the Web at http://www.justin.tv/parcinc.

And for a taste of one of the technologies I'll be talking about on Thursday, you can check out this recent Voice of Xperience column: When iMovie Isn't Enough, Amateur Video Producers Can Go Pro.

Thanks, and I hope to see you at PARC!

Wade