VPython error -

Elizabeth Greenan

Nov 25, 2017, 4:25:27 PM11/25/17
to VPython-users
I am in my first semester of using VPython. I use a HP Pavilion with a 64-bit, Windows 10 OS. VPython worked fine for some basic, non-motion programs but with motion programs, I always get an error. The programs appear to start and they stop/freeze and then, after a few seconds, I get error messages: "Hang on while Windows reports the problem to Microsoft." and then "pythonw.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I know the programs are correct because they run on other people's laptops and on an older desktop I have at home. I am using Python 2.7.14 (v2.7.14:84471935ed, Sep 16 2017.) I reinstalled it several times and we haven't been able to find and fix the problem. Does anybody know of a computer setting that might be causing the problem? Thanks for any help.

Bruce Sherwood

Nov 25, 2017, 4:45:22 PM11/25/17
to VPython-users
Are you using the older VPython 6, or the currently supported VPython 7? If the latter, are you using it in a Jupyter notebook or otherwise?

Bruce

Elizabeth Greenan

Nov 26, 2017, 12:39:55 PM11/26/17
to VPython-users
I am using Version 6.11 based on wxPython. I saw VPython7 is available but I believe my class is also using 6.11 so I wanted to use the same. They don't seem to have the same problems I do. Thanks.

Aaron Titus

Nov 26, 2017, 6:23:57 PM11/26/17
to vpytho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Elizabeth,

Even though VPython 7 is now recommended, I can definitely understand running classic for a brief time until one can upgrade lab computers, etc.

Another option is to try installing through Anaconda. This is a more challenging method if one is not accustomed to using a command line. The following might work:

1. Install Anaconda.  (I always google “anaconda download” or something like that. Be sure to download the Python 2.7 version of Anaconda.)

2. Find the anaconda command prompt. I don’t know what it’s called on Windows, but it should show up in your list of applications I think. Open this, and you will get a command line where you can type commands. Run the following command:

conda install -c mwcraig vpython

If successful, this will install the classic version of vpython within the anaconda distribution.

3. Now, from the command line, type:

vidle

This should open the VIDLE application from which you can write and run vpython programs. I have verified that this works on my computer.

There is an alternative. You can run python programs from the command line using pythonw. First, you will have to navigate to a folder where you have a .py file. Use the command ls to list directories and files. Use cd to change to a particular directory. I think the command prompt in Anaconda on Windows uses linux commands to list files and change directories, but I’m not sure about this. Otherwise, use windows commands like dir.  When you get to a folder with your file, you can run the python program called “filename" using

pythonw filename

It should open in a window and run.

I hope this helps. It’s the only fix I can think of if you are constrained to vpython classic.

Aaron

Bruce Sherwood

Nov 26, 2017, 6:50:18 PM11/26/17
to VPython-users
Another possibility:

Although you say that the same animation runs on another computer, the fact that only animations are affected suggests that there is an animation loop that does not contain a rate() function call, in which case the program will lock up.

Bruce