New conda installation fails

GaryP

Sep 11, 2016, 10:11:45 AM9/11/16
to VPython-users
I've had vpython on my computer (Mac) for a long time.  I don't remember which version I had, but it wasn't very recent.   It was installed into Anaconda by conda, and worked fine.

Due to an Anaconda corruption somewhere having nothing to do with vpython, I created a new miniconda environment and installed vpython using

conda install -c vpython vpython=1.0.7

Now import visual fails with "No module named visual"

vpython is in site-packages.

Did something change while I wasn't looking about the way vpython is imported ?

Steve Spicklemire

Sep 11, 2016, 10:16:15 AM9/11/16
to vpytho...@googlegroups.com, Steve Spicklemire
Hi Gary,

If you want “visual” that’s classic vpython (not the new, browser based, "jupyter vpython" that’s been worked on recently). The “version 1.0.7” is for the new jupyter version. For classic vpython you want:

conda install -c https://conda.binstar.org/mwcraig vpython

Let us know if that doesn’t work!

-steve

Bruce Sherwood

Sep 11, 2016, 8:40:00 PM9/11/16
to VPython-users, stevespi...@gmail.com
See the first page of vpython.org for details about these matters. The same section of that page that documents "conda install -c vpython vpython=1.0.7" which you used also documents how to use what you installed.