Texture Error with Jupyter Notebook

Joseph Glaser

Sep 21, 2017, 2:49:52 PM9/21/17
to VPython-users

Hello All,

I am prepping for another course utilizing the Jupyter version of VPython and have encountered a rather odd error. It seems that on a good number of my laboratory computers that have no history of this issue, the textures option for objects is no longer working.

I am attaching a sample script that, when executed in jupyter, creates a sun, an earth, and a saturn object. The earth object does not appear, except on three of the identical machines. When switched to color=color.blue, the earth object shows up. Using other textures than textures.earth (say textures.stucco) does not work either. Obviously material=materials.earth also doesn't work (but I thought to check just in case).

The only change that has occurred with these computers is that they have been having Internet connection issues. Are the textures in VPython stored locally or retrieved remotely?

Thanks in advance!

~ Joe G.
prog1.ipynb

Bruce Sherwood

Sep 21, 2017, 4:42:09 PM9/21/17
to vpytho...@googlegroups.com
The texture files used in Jupiter VPython are stored locally.

Bruce

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted