VPython Browser Questions

cva...@uwf.edu

Feb 11, 2018, 10:47:33 AM2/11/18
to VPython-users
I had two quick questions regarding VPython.
  1. Sometimes I create code purely for the purpose of utilizing the vector mathematics built into VPython and I do not need a visualization. Is it possible to suppress the blank browser tab that occurs every time I run a VPython program?
  2. How do I change the default browser?

Thanks in advance,

Chris Varney

Bruce Sherwood

Feb 11, 2018, 11:20:59 AM2/11/18
to VPython-users
1) I do intend to fix that; it's basically a bug. It's already the case that a canvas or graph is not displayed until and unless there is something such as a box or gcurve to put there, and I shouldn't set up communication with the browser until and unless there's a need to do so.

2) I don't know in detail, but typically when you enter a browser you don't often use you're invited to make it your preferred browser, which I think is the one that VPython will use.

Bruce

Aaron Titus

Feb 11, 2018, 11:27:16 AM2/11/18
to vpytho...@googlegroups.com
Bruce can answer your question better than I can. However, one of my students did write a vector package that would allow him to create vectors and do vector algebra. I’ve attached the package and a file “vector-test.py” that allows you to see some of the functions.

You could modify this to give you the same or similar vector functions as VPython.

AT

vector.py
vector-test.py