VPython for Python 3.6

sophie.r...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2017, 6:20:13 AM1/7/17
to VPython-users
Is there a version available for Python 3.6>

Regards
Sophie

bash...@ncsu.edu

Jan 7, 2017, 9:28:08 AM1/7/17
to VPython-users
There is no Classic VPython for 3.x, but there is Jupyter VPython which I would think should work with any Python 3.x. At vpython.org the installation instructions emphasize installing Anaconda, which installs Python 3.5. It appears that Anaconda does offer 3.6. At

are instructions for creating an Anaconda virtual environment, and the instructions include this statement that lists the available Python versions:

conda search "^python$"

When I execute this statement, I see that 3.6.0 is in principle available. I tried to create a virtual environment that uses Python 3.6, by executing

conda create -n p36 python=3.6 anaconda

I get "UnsatisfiableError", and when I try "activate p36" there is indeed no such environment. This was in 64-bit Windows 10. So although Python 3.6 is listed as an option for Anaconda, I was in fact unable to install it.

Presumably one could try starting from scratch, not starting from Anaconda, by installing Python 3.6 and the various Jupyter modules, which would be a lot of work and might fail if some Jupyter element won't run with Python 3.6. Has anyone reading this forum tried this?

Matt Craig

Jan 8, 2017, 12:52:08 PM1/8/17
to VPython-users
Thanks for this reminder -- I'll get the latest version of jupyter vpython built for python 3.6 tonight or tomorrow, so that it can be installed (in anaconda) with: conda install -c vpython vpython

If you need it immediately, this will work (in anaconda or any other python distribution): pip install vpython

Matt Craig

Matt Craig

Jan 9, 2017, 5:53:44 PM1/9/17
to VPython-users
Hi,

Forgot to address this:

Presumably one could try starting from scratch, not starting from Anaconda, by installing Python 3.6 and the various Jupyter modules, which would be a lot of work and might fail if some Jupyter element won't run with Python 3.6. Has anyone reading this forum tried this?

I have not tried installing anaconda (i.e. python and all ~100 packages in the anaconda python distribution by default). This does work, though:

conda create -n p36 python=3.6 notebook

This gets you jupyter notebook  and its dependencies. It looks like numpy is also available, so I would imagine it will not be too much longer until the full anaconda distribution is ready.

[I did this on mac -- I'm somewhat familiar with how they do their building, so I expect they also have it for Windows 64-bit]

Anthony Day

Nov 16, 2017, 11:38:52 AM11/16/17
to VPython-users
Hi Matt,

Could you update the instructions on the Vpython.org site?  (http://vpython.org/contents/download_windows.html)

Currently, the instructions to install Vpython are "conda install -c mwcraig vpython"  which doesn't work.

"conda install -c vpython vpython" does work.

Thanks.

Bruce Sherwood

Nov 16, 2017, 5:24:50 PM11/16/17
to VPython-users
I'm guessing you tried to install VPython on Python 3. The instruction "conda install -c mwcraig vpython" on the download_windows.html page refers only to the old VPython 6, which only works with Python 2.7 and is no longer supported. I've added another warning about this to that page.

Bruce

Anthony Roy Day

Nov 16, 2017, 7:57:36 PM11/16/17
to vpytho...@googlegroups.com

You are correct, I did the Anaconda installation of  Python 3.6 and then tried to get Vpython to work.

I still think it is a bit confusing to have the “Windows Download” tab direct you to instructions for a system that is no longer supported.  The warning is easily overlooked.  The instructions on the home page are clear but when I am installing software I tend to go straight to the downloads link.

Thanks

Roy Day

Bruce Sherwood

Nov 16, 2017, 8:55:35 PM11/16/17
to VPython-users
I've reconfigured vpython.org to move the Classic VPython 6 material to a separate section that isn't very prominent. I hope that helps.

Bruce