crash when try to run sample vpython code under WinXP(python 2.7.9 and VPython6.11)

asm warrior

Feb 26, 2015, 2:44:29 AM2/26/15
to vpytho...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I just follow the instruction on http://vpython.org/contents/download_windows.html to install the python 2.7.9 and vpython 6.11, but after installration, I found that i can't run any sample code, I just get the crash message box shows up. See the screen shot as attachment.

I have a very clean c:\python27.
also, follow this message: https://sourceforge.net/p/visualpython/mailman/message/31761631/
I have also disable the shadow settings.
I have also tried restart the computer or reinstall all the packages.

Any way, I still get pythonw.exe crash when I try to run sample code.

Any ideas to help me?
Thanks.

crash-vpython611.png

Bruce Sherwood

Feb 26, 2015, 10:01:51 AM2/26/15
to vpytho...@googlegroups.com
I don't recognize this problem and am puzzled. What version of Windows are you using? How much memory does the computer have? How do you run the code? What program(s) do you try to run?

Try this: Start the Windows command prompt, then type the following and report what happens:

cd C:\Python27
python
from visual import *
version

Do you see <'6.11', 'release'> ?

Press ctrl-Z to exit Python, then do this:

cd Lib\site-packages\visual\examples
C:\Python27\python bounce2.py

What happens?

asm warrior

Feb 26, 2015, 10:18:18 AM2/26/15
to vpytho...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply.

On Thursday, February 26, 2015 at 11:01:51 PM UTC+8, Bruce Sherwood wrote:
I don't recognize this problem and am puzzled. What version of Windows are you using? How much memory does the computer have? How do you run the code? What program(s) do you try to run?
I'm using Windows XP 32 bit (sp2 or sp3 I'm not sure)
4G memory.
I try to run any program under the Lib\site-packages\visual\examples, they all get crashed.

Try this: Start the Windows command prompt, then type the following and report what happens:

cd C:\Python27
python
from visual import *
version

Do you see <'6.11', 'release'> ?

Ok, I just see after I type the line "from visual import *", then hit Enter key, I get a similar crash. This is from python.exe (not from pythonw.exe as I previous post reported). I attach the screen shot.(crash-vpython611-2.png)

Press ctrl-Z to exit Python, then do this:

cd Lib\site-packages\visual\examples
C:\Python27\python bounce2.py

What happens?
This will show a crash report about python.exe crash. (I attach as another "crash-vpython611-3.png") I see that it is similar to crash-vpython611-2.png, only the instruction address is different.

crash-vpython611-2.png
crash-vpython611-3.png

Bruce Sherwood

Feb 26, 2015, 10:27:57 AM2/26/15
to vpytho...@googlegroups.com
I gather that there was nothing printed to the command prompt window? You immediately got a crash with no other information?

XP was released in 2001, so it's a pretty old operating system. However, I don't know of any reason why VPython shouldn't still run on XP. Is there someone reading this post that is using XP? Any problems?

A long shot is to ask whether you find the following folders and files in C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages:

FontTools
numpy
Polygon
ttfquery
vidle
vis
visual
visual_common
wx-3.0-msw

FontTools.pth
numpy-1.9.1-py2.7.egg-info
Polygon2-2.0.6-py2.7.egg-info
wx.pth
wxversion.py

asmwarrior

Feb 27, 2015, 12:38:30 AM2/27/15
to vpytho...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-2-26 23:27, Bruce Sherwood wrote:
> I gather that there was nothing printed to the command prompt window? You immediately got a crash with no other information?
Nothing printed in the command line.
Here is the log of command line(no other information about the crash, only a message box):

C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\visual\examples>c:\python27\python.exe bounce2.py

C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\visual\examples>

> A long shot is to ask whether you find the following folders and files in C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages:
>
> FontTools
> numpy
> Polygon
> ttfquery
> vidle
> vis
> visual
> visual_common
> wx-3.0-msw
>
> FontTools.pth
> numpy-1.9.1-py2.7.egg-info
> Polygon2-2.0.6-py2.7.egg-info
> wx.pth
> wxversion.py

All the above items were in the "C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages" folder.

Message has been deleted

Bruce Sherwood

Feb 27, 2015, 1:37:26 AM2/27/15
to vpytho...@googlegroups.com
The only other possible explanation that I can think of is that the graphics driver needs to be updated. And here is a closely related issue from the vpython.org download page:

Materials such as wood will work with graphics cards that support Pixel Shader 3.0 ("PS 3.0"). See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_shader#Hardware. Some materials may work with graphics cards that support PS 2.0, but other materials may need to be manually disabled: In the folder C:\PythonNN\Lib\site-packages\vis, edit the file site-settings.py to disable the use of shaders. If the graphics hardware does not support pixel shaders, the material property is ignored. If you think you should be able to use materials but have trouble with their display or performance, we highly recommend upgrading your video card drivers to the latest version.

asmwarrior

Feb 27, 2015, 1:48:20 AM2/27/15
to vpytho...@googlegroups.com
Hi, thanks. In-fact, I have already done this change.

I have the below line in file: C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\vis\site_settings.py

enable_shaders = False # Make False to disable shaders

But the bad news is that this does not solve my crash issue.

About the graphics cards driver issue. I have the latest drivers of my Lenovo T400 computer. This is done by the lenovo's dirver updater. I can run other OpenGL applications(such as the executables I build myself with freeglut libraries) quite well.

asmwarrior

Feb 27, 2015, 2:07:59 AM2/27/15
to vpytho...@googlegroups.com
BTW: Is install python in C:\Python27 mandatory? Refer to the page:
http://vpython.org/contents/download_windows.html
It said:
"First, download and install the 32-bit Python-2.7.9 from python.org
      Be sure to allow the installer to install into C:\Python27. "

I would like to install python in another driver or directory.
Thanks.

Bruce Sherwood

Feb 27, 2015, 12:00:32 PM2/27/15
to vpytho...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure about the current situation, but in the past there were problems when Python was installed somewhere else rather than in C:\PythonXY.

Unfortunately, I've run out of possible solutions for your crash problems, and no one reading this forum has said anything about their experience with XP.

It's baffling.

mik...@gmail.com

Nov 3, 2015, 3:23:05 AM11/3/15
to VPython-users
Okay, this might be a blast from the past BUT I've got the same problems with XP on my old Lenovo T60. I'm trying to get VPython working, but I keep crashing.:Windows has encountered a problem. (wxbase30u_vc90.dll is referenced.)

I'm using the latest 32-bit setup from http://vpython.org/contents/download_windows.html. I've set the shader to False as you suggested, and Python's in C:\Python27 as per the installer. I'd cleared out all python-related files out completely before installing, and did manual restart.

BUT it kept crashing. I tried you idea of getting the version number via the command window but "from visual import * " caused the same crash.

I then created a single-line python file consisting of "from visual import* ". It crashed.

I wonder: do you have a pair of older files I could use to try to build an outdated but workable VPython system on my Lenovo. Not only might it give me something to work with, it might also be a starting point towards a solution...

Thanks,

Mike

Bruce Sherwood

Nov 3, 2015, 10:55:47 AM11/3/15
to vpytho...@googlegroups.com
At the bottom of the Windows download page at vpython.org is a link to old versions of VPython.

pandam...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2016, 5:14:34 AM4/11/16
to VPython-users
Hi all, have the same problem on my wn xp..so tried older version...........I've just installed VPython-Win-32-Py2.7-6.01.exe and it works!