Eclipse 3.6 CSS Styling: null service reference is not allowed

Hendrik Edzards

Mar 9, 2011, 3:59:26 AM3/9/11
to vogella
Hello Lars,

I'm very fond of your articles. Recently I did some research on XWT
and CSS Features in Eclipse 4 and if they could be used in our 3.6 RCP
Apps as well. I checked out the according example you described in
http://www.vogella.de/blog/2010/06/15/eclipse-3-6-css-styling/ and
tried to make it work. Unfortunately I encounter the following error:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 2 2 2011-03-09 09:46:31.977
!MESSAGE Could not start styling support.
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException: A null service reference is not
allowed.
at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.getService(BundleContextImpl.java:
660)
at
org.eclipse.e4.ui.css.swt.internal.theme.BootstrapTheme3x.<init>(BootstrapTheme3x.java:
38)
at
org.eclipse.e4.ui.css.swt.internal.theme.BootstrapTheme3x.<init>(BootstrapTheme3x.java:
30)
Method)
at
sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:
39)
at
sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:
27)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2476)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2438)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$7.run(Workbench.java:671)
at
org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:
332)
at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:
664)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:
149)
at
org.eclipse.e4.ui.examples.css.rcp.Application.start(Application.java:
37)
at
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:
196)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:
110)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:
79)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:
369)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:
179)
at
39)
at
25)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:619)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:574)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1407)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1383)

It seems that the App cannot find any Service to this call:

ServiceReference ref =
context.getServiceReference(IThemeManager.class.getName());

I am not quite sure how to proceed. Any suggestions on what to check
and do?

Thanks very much, greetings from Freiburg

Hendrik

Lars Vogel

Mar 9, 2011, 6:50:43 AM3/9/11
to vog...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hendrik,

I believe this blog entry is a little bit outdated as e4 is moving
really fast. You might have to check the dependencies of the plugins
again and make sure that all are included in the runtime
configuration.

Best regards, Lars

2011/3/9 Hendrik Edzards <hedz...@googlemail.com>:

> --