problem running tutorial de.vogella.e4.todo

Stefano

Aug 21, 2011, 5:06:50 PM8/21/11
to vogella, scas...@yahoo.com
Hello Lars,

first of all thanks for creating these wonderful tutorials for
eclipse. I have already gone through several ones with great benefit.

I have encountered a problem with running de.vogella.e4.todo.
Specifically, at section 10.6, when running the product, I am getting
this exception

java.lang.NullPointerException
at
org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.processHierarchy(E4Workbench.java:
191)
at
org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.init(E4Workbench.java:
115)
at
org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.<init>(E4Workbench.java:
70)
at
org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.E4Application.createE4Workbench(E4Application.java:
288)
at
org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.E4Application.start(E4Application.java:
130)
at
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:
196)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:
110)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:
79)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:
344)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:
179)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:622)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:577)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1410)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1386)

Previously, at section 10.4 (Maintain Extension points) I was also
confused by the instruction:

"Every e4 application must define a base model. This is done via a
property of the product. Maintain the properties "applicationXMI" with
the value "de.vogella.e4.todo/Application.e4xmi This points to the
initial model which we will create soon. The resulting plugin.xml
should look like the following."

Since I could not find a way to create this property by means of the
wizards/editors, etc.,I edited directly the plugin.xml file (the
instruction of the tutorial seemed to suggest that...).
Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
Stefano

PS: here is the version I am using:

Eclipse SDK
Version: 4.1.0
Build id: I20110620-1631

Lars Vogel

Aug 22, 2011, 4:43:29 PM8/22/11
to vog...@googlegroups.com, scas...@yahoo.com
Hi Stefano,

thanks for the feedback. This part of the tutorial has not yet been updated to Eclipse 4.1. I hope to do this within the next month.

Best regards, Lars

2011/8/21 Stefano <stefano...@gmail.com>

Lars
http://www.vogella.de - Eclipse, Android and Java Tutorials
http://www.twitter.com/vogella - Lars on Twitter

Stefano

Aug 24, 2011, 5:23:34 AM8/24/11
to vogella
Hi Lars, thank you, I look forward to your update
Best regards. Stefano