Please HELP: ATTENTION: A serious disk error has occurred while writing to drive A Retry (r)?

Warwick Chapman

Mar 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/21/99
Please help me

I cannot install Windows 98/95 on my system. Everytime during the setup
process, just after scandisk, a block block appears in the top left of my
screen which says as follows:

ATTENTION:
A serious disk error has
occurred while writing to drive A
Retry (r)?

The system freezes here. Any ideas? I am depersate, I need the PC to work,
it is brand new, and I have a big project due soon. I did get Win98 to
install properly only once, it ran for +-12 hours, but then it crashed, and
the registry got corrupted. When I tried to re-install, this problem keeps
stopping me again.

It was suggested to me that I clock the PC back to 300Mhz, I did, and it
made no difference, in fact when I did, it wouldn't even let me boot of the
floppy for some reason?

System is as follows:
PCCHIPS M726 PII Motherboard
Intel Celeron 300A (Overclocked to 450)
Western Digital 8.4 Gb (800MB boot partition).
64Mb 100mhz DIMM RAM
AMI BIOS (61-0222-001437-00111111-071595-ALI1621-M726-V3.4-5123-H)

The following is the closest I have got to solving this, except my BOIS has
no such option:
http://www.firmware.com/support/bios/fat32wp.htm

Thanks,
Budgee
bud...@csurf.co.za

Ken Phillips

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
Hi---There are many times when a system gets corrupted. I have found that
the best way is to use FDISK and make a primary dos partition of 500-1000
MEGS then make the extended drives either 1 or more using a little LESS than
you have left on your drive because I had one report the wrong size causing
much trouble.Then be SURE to set the 1st or C: drive ACTIVE! after that you
simply format each drive and keep all of your programs with data you want to
keep on another drive NOT the C: drive. This allows you to format C: anytime
you need to and reinstall every thing without a data loss.This should allow
you to install windows.If you have any more problems try me at
<keni...@cwix.com>