Maven install and vitro.home

Benjamin Gross

Dec 30, 2015, 3:12:40 PM12/30/15
to vivo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Has anyone else encountered this error when starting VIVO after installing using Maven?

2015-12-30 12:56:17,109 ERROR [StartupStatus] From ApplicationSetup: Failed to initialize the Application.
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Can't find a value for the Vitro home directory. Looked in JNDI environment at 'java:comp/env/vitro/home'. Looked for a system property named 'vitro.home'. Looked in 'WEB-INF/resources/build.properties' for 'vitro.home'.

I’m using the develop branch for Vitro and VIVO. I’m having no problems installing with Maven on my local machine but I’m getting this error on our development server. I can drop a copy of build.properties into WEB-INF/resources and it boots fine, but I’m not seeing that file there on my local machine either, leading me to believe the directory path is successfully being stored in one of the first two options (JNDI environment or as a system property) on my local machine but not our dev server. Thanks for the help,

Benjamin

Benjamin Gross
UNAVCO, Data Technician
6350 Nautilus Drive
Boulder, CO 80301-5394

Graham Triggs

Dec 31, 2015, 4:28:42 AM12/31/15
to Benjamin Gross, vivo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The web app in the “installer” project has a META-INF/context.xml file in it, which is filtered to write the correct value for vitro/home into the environment.

On your development environment, you either aren’t generating / installing the META-INF/context.xml as part of your web application, or the application isn’t reading it.

Regards,

Graham Triggs
Technical Lead for VIVO
DuraSpace.org

Benjamin Gross

Dec 31, 2015, 11:55:25 AM12/31/15
to Graham Triggs, vivo...@googlegroups.com
Graham,
Thank you! After reading your email I had an idea what might be wrong… I had a context defined elsewhere in Tomcat, which of course I should have known since there’s a section called “Take care when creating Context elements" toward the bottom of the new installing vivo with maven docs

Benjamin

Benjamin Gross
UNAVCO, Data Technician
6350 Nautilus Drive
Boulder, CO 80301-5394

shuklay...@gmail.com

Sep 11, 2018, 6:18:06 AM9/11/18
to VIVO Tech
Hi,
I am beginner to use VIVO 1.9.3. I am facing the same problem of JDNI environment vitro.home. I am not getting that what should be the path for vitro.home .

Regards
Yashasvee Shukla
DESIDOC, DRDO
Metcalfe House,
Delhi, India
office: 011-23902451

Gross, Benjamin

Sep 11, 2018, 10:38:06 AM9/11/18
to vivo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yashavee,
You could try Ted's solution (untested myself):

I¹ve seen this too. The workaround is the create a file at
"webapp/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/resources/build.properties² with the
contents:

vitro.home = /path/to/your/vitro/home

I did not add the environment variable to context.xml, I had to add it to server.xml after I had added Context elements following these (now archived) instructions on how to run VIVO behind Apache: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/VTDA/Running+VIVO+behind+an+Apache+server

Disclaimer: Setting up VIVO + Apache according to these instructions still works, but it has some unintended consequences such as VIVO starting up twice every time (because it automatically starts up all the apps in the Tomcat directory, then starts up the apps you define in the context).

Hope that's helpful,
Benjamin

Benjamin Gross
Science and Academic Research | Clarivate Analytics