[Vivo-imp-issues] ORNG / OpenSocial

Ben Cornwell

Nov 14, 2015, 6:21:35 AM11/14/15
to vivo-im...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi All,

Can anyone provide a comment on whether the ORNG project is a going concern?

OpenSocial/shindig is still clearly a VIVO component however none of the example gadgets that ship with 1.7 are functional (e.g. the Twitter gadget definition results in a 404 - http://stage-profiles.ucsf.edu/apps/Twitter.xml ).

Other than UCSF, is anyone using OpenSocial gadgets in production?

All the best,

Ben

---
Ben Cornwell
Program Manager, Research Systems and Analytics

Research and Innovation Division
University of Wollongong

t: +612 4221 3270
e: ben_co...@uow.edu.au
w: http://uow.edu.au/research

Meeks, Eric

Nov 14, 2015, 6:21:35 AM11/14/15
to Jon Corson-Rikert, Ben Cornwell, vivo-im...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hello Ben,

Yes, there are a few things with ORNG in VIVO that need to be addressed. As for as ORNG itself, it's now live in production at Harvard, UCSF, USC, BU, Baylor, UCSD, and probably a few other sites that we don't know about. I know that MUSC has in working in development as well.

ORNG not working in VIVO is the result of a versioning problem that could easily be addressed. The gadget URL's that are in VIVO point to live versions of the code that we use for development. As such they have changed as we have added new features and they no longer work with the original code base. We had the same problem happen with the Profiles sites and we fixed it by using versioned URL's pointing to code that we know to leave alone.

Are you going to be at the implementation fest? I think the fate of ORNG and VIVO would be a good topic.

I'm going to include an email I recently sent out, it goes into more detail on exactly this topic.

Thanks for the interest!
Eric
----- other email -----
Hey folks,

It sounds like there might be some interest from one of the VIVO sites to get OpenSocial up and running. As such, I’d like to explore the idea of re-vamping the way VIVO and OpenSocial are integrated.

First of all, there is a short term problem that I’d like to address. This is silly with an easy fix. Our example gadgets in the VIVO installation point to gadgets in a http://stage-profiles.ucsf.edu/apps/ directory. That directory is where we keep our most up to date gadgets, and so as we add new custom features the gadgets no longer work for VIVO (or other Profiles installations, that’s how we found out about this actually). This fix is simple, put the example gadgets in a directory such as http://ourserver/VIVO_1.7_apps/ and leave them alone. We did this for Profiles (http://profiles.ucsf.edu/apps_2.1/) so that our latest and greatest versions of the apps (http://profiles.ucsf.edu/apps_ucsf/) would be off to the side. Fixing this would require a patch to VIVO, but only touching the vitro-core\opensocial\shindig_example_gadgets.sql file to point to different URLs.

More importantly, I’d like to look at updating the OpenSocial integration more significantly. A few things have happened since the VIVO integration. One is that the reference OpenSocial engine that we use (Apache Shindig) went through an open source rebirth after years of dormancy. The latest version of shindig solves a bunch of problems that we had to solve on our own when we first started working with OpenSocial. Another thing that has happened is JSONLD. JSONLD was the perfect bridge for OpenSocial and Linked Open Data and we’ve made great use of JSONLD in our latest gadgets. The final thing that has happened was my knowledge of SPARQL. The Crosslinks application that we built with support from David Eichmann is a completely semantic application built on top of Fuseki. Our current data implementation for OpenSocial in both VIVO and Profiles is based on having a relational DB, but we now know how to switch this over to RDF and that would make it easier to express OpenSocial data as LOD. It could also make my job easier in that we could potentially create a single version of our OpenSocial engine that just needs a SPARQL endpoint (that supports update) in order to work, and end up with identical implementations for both Profiles and VIVO.

Many details to this of course. We have a small ORNG ontology that we use in Profiles for expressing OpenSocial data and that would need to be cleaned up and approved. If things really take off, we could even consider OpenSocial gadgets that supply their own tiny ontology for expressing data in a semantically better format than the “one size fits all” ORNG ontology which is based on the name/value pair persistence model of OpenSocial.

The last thing I want to do is to toss more work on your plate but I wanted to run this by you to see what you think. ORNG is starting to pick up in the Profiles community and we are also finding more interest in our Crosslinks feature (which could be implemented without OpenSocial but is a good fit for OpenSocial) and I do want to tighten OpenSocial + LOD support in our implementation now the we have the knowledge and standards (JSONLD) to solve this problem.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Eric

Nov 14, 2015, 6:21:35 AM11/14/15
to Ben Cornwell, vivo-im...@lists.sourceforge.net, Meeks, Eric

Michaeleen Trimarchi

Nov 14, 2015, 6:21:36 AM11/14/15
to Meeks, Eric, Jon Corson-Rikert, Ben Cornwell, VIVO Implementation List
Hi all,

Re: Jon's comment on March 3 in this thread:
"I¹m aware of one VIVO site (http://vivo.scripps.edu
<http://vivo.scripps.edu/>) with plans to implement an ORNG gadget (for
Slideshare, I believe)"

Yes, Scripps plans to implement ORNG gadgets <
http://www.orng.info/gadget-library.html > for several applications in
addition to SlideShare. When we get to this project, the video gadget will
be the first one we work on because our Office of Communications has
developed a YouTube channel for the institute <
https://www.youtube.com/user/ScrippsResearch >. We would like links to
appear on the profiles of faculty featured in the videos. We are also
interested in SlideShare and Twitter, among others.

Yesterday Brian Lowe completed our top priority at the moment: creating a
link to an NIH Biosketch List at the top of the Publications box that
faculty can use with the new biosketch format required by NIH as of May
25, 2015. He can show an example on today's Implementation & Development
call, if attendees are interested.

Our next focus is a publication identifier project, then we hope to turn
our attention to the ORNG gadgets.

Thank you,
Michaeleen

Michaeleen Trimarchi
Senior Reference & Electronic Services Librarian
Kresge Library, The Scripps Research Institute
10550 N Torrey Pines Rd, La Jolla CA 92037
tel: (858) 784-9969 ; fax (858) 784-2035
mtri...@scripps.edu