Access to data?

mbrownnyc

Apr 25, 2012, 9:26:19 AM4/25/12
to virus...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am curious why there aren't more in-depth stats presented on the stats page: https://www.virustotal.com/statistics/

Specifically, a comparison of how anti-virus engines fair with their rate of positives.

To stop "abuse," you guys could simply make a rule that, in order for the stat to be counted towards any of them, two to three different engines must return a positive detection.  Or make this optional in the presented analysis as another data point, as in "Symantec is the only one returning a positive hit for 'sony rootkit'".

Of course, it's hard to calculate false positives, but it would still be very useful.

What do people think?

Thanks,

Matt

Emiliano Martinez

Jun 21, 2012, 3:03:01 AM6/21/12
to virus...@googlegroups.com
Hello Matt,

We are working on including new statistics, it is one of the items in our backlog.

Having said this, the statistics will never include notions regarding detection rates per brand, VirusTotal should not be used for antivirus comparatives, the reasons for this are stated in our FAQ:

Moreover, VirusTotal's philosophy is not to disrupt the antivirus industry but rather help them to improve their solutions. To this extent, we do produce some statistics like the ones you mention but they are only available to the antivirus vendors themselves, so that they can study their performance and improve their products.

We really appreciate your feedback and look forward to new suggestions.

Thank you very much.

Emi.