File size limit increase?

FrozzyBear

Sep 8, 2012, 1:44:03 PM9/8/12
to virus...@googlegroups.com
I know google has worked with VirusTotal for a while but I was wondering with this recent change, if there was any plans to increase the file size limit on what can be scanned?  Right now 20ish MB seems to be the max file size but there are times when this simply isn't enough and there's no good alternative that solves this problem.  Just wanted to know if it had been discussed or if there is a way through the API or something that maybe I don't know about.  Thanks so much!

Emiliano Martinez

Sep 10, 2012, 2:20:51 AM9/10/12
to virus...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

We are working continuously to improve our services. This is certainly something we will be considering in the near future.

Regards.

--
Choose a file, check it with more than 40 antivirus, fast and easy: http://www.virustotal.com

سفير مصطفى

May 26, 2013, 3:21:03 AM5/26/13
to virus...@googlegroups.com

بتاريخ السبت، 8 سبتمبر، 2012 UTC+3 8:44:03 م، كتب FrozzyBear:
I know google has worked with VirusTotal for a while but I was wondering with this recent change, if there was any plans to increase the file size limit on what can be scanned?  Right now 20ish MB seems to be the max file size but there are times when this simply isn't enough and there's no good alternative that solves this problem.  Just wanted to know if it had been discussed or if there is a way through the API or something that maybe I don't know about.  Thanks so much!

منتديات سهم القلوب

 http://www.sahm4.com/vb/

منتديات سهم القلوب

 http://www.sahm4.com/vb/

Attila Horvath

Jan 27, 2015, 7:57:30 AM1/27/15
to virus...@googlegroups.com
I'm new to VirusTotal but playing the devil's advocate... if I was developing a virus, knowing file size limitations of a front-end virus uploader/feeder (like VirusTotal) to other virus scanners, I would make sure my infected file exceeds these limitations making it more difficult to detect simply because end users are hindered from uploading it.

While I understand why there are limitations the question is what is the criterion for selecting a maximum file size in the first place? Why 128MB? Why not 130? 125? Are uploaded files kept indefinitely? Do they need to be kept at all?

Thx,