Some questions of a beginner

Wolfgang

Apr 13, 2016, 6:14:53 AM4/13/16
to VirusTotal
Hi

I have actually started using virustotal some days ago and now I try to learn to understand the idea.

In the first place I've send some test files - good and bad - to get a first hint. Today I've got two mails which for me both holds an virus inside decided by brain 1.0.

https://virustotal.com/de/file/18f9a9ecfb0ccc414c5df261fe9668a8a14ed84f212e5bc03dc75c43dd1d3a09/analysis/

In this case only 9 of all the scanners can identifiy the malware. It's a very scarry result.

My question is: Is there an automatic message system to the other 48 scanner producers?

https://virustotal.com/de/file/222ed0c5e4a91e11b63091549121bd70f9185e93fcf10c8cce557d87bc2fe6c1/analysis/

Here no scanner identifies malware but in my opinion malware is the only reason to send me this mail.
Is there anything else to do for me?

Best regards
Wolfgang

Jeff Stanley

Apr 30, 2016, 8:11:54 AM4/30/16
to VirusTotal
I am not sure if VirusTotal actually notifies the vendors. One thing that you can do it to submit the file to your Antivirus vendor. We use Symantec. I support and protect a large enterprise. They are good at informing my of the result of their internal check of the file. They will also point me to the  latest release of their definitions so that if I do not have that version loaded, I can load it and distribute it to my endpoints. I am not advertising here and only mention our vendor as an example that you can point to when you are talking to your vendor as to whether or not they offer a similar service.