Countng reads used in VICUNA

Gideon Mordecai

Jun 3, 2014, 4:45:27 AM6/3/14
to viral-to...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xiao,

I am using VICUNA to assemble two different viral variants in the same sample and want to roughly know how many reads make up each contig.
Could you please confirm that it is the contig.align output file that I need to be looking at? All my read names start with '>', so all I did was used a grep command to count each '>'. Is this a valid approach?

Thanks very much for your advice,

Gideon

Xiao Yang

Jun 3, 2014, 11:19:07 AM6/3/14
to viral-to...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gideon,

The short answer is yes. But there's a caveat that if you use alignment software to map reads back to the contig you might get more reads aligned. .algn file only shows you how the contig was constructed but did not provide you with haplotype information.

best
Xiao

- Xiao

Gideon Mordecai

Jun 3, 2014, 11:52:17 AM6/3/14
to viral-to...@googlegroups.com
Great, thanks for your answer.

Gideon Mordecai

Jul 22, 2014, 4:43:52 AM7/22/14
to viral-to...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xiao,

Using the same method as above to count the number of reads used in the VICUNA alignment, I am finding that there are more reads in the contig.align file than the number of reads that I input to VICUNA for the assemble. Can VICUNA use the same reads twice in different contigs?

Thanks for your help,

Gideon

Xiao Yang

Jul 22, 2014, 9:08:28 AM7/22/14
to viral-to...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gideon,

To clarify, are you assembly fasta input or fastq input, paired end reads ? If it is paired end reads, I assume you count the input reads by a factor of 2. I dont' remember Vicuna would put a same read in different contigs.

Xiao

Gideon Mordecai

Jul 22, 2014, 10:34:52 AM7/22/14
to viral-to...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xiao, yes they are fasta paired end reads and yes I counted both read 1 and read 2. If that is the case I am not sure what is happening!

Xiao Yang

Jul 22, 2014, 10:37:49 AM7/22/14
to viral-to...@googlegroups.com
okie, could you convert it to paired-fastq format, Vicuna has not been tested on paired fasta input and there could be problems with it.