Thing-O-Matic bearings

John P

Jun 18, 2016, 3:39:02 PM6/18/16
to Vintage Makerbot
Hello, any idea what size or grade bearings the TOM uses?

RepRaps tend to use 608-ZZ bearings

cheers

Jeremy Green

Jun 18, 2016, 4:13:09 PM6/18/16
to vintage-...@googlegroups.com
They came with brass bushings. I believe they were 3/8" ID. Not sure about the OD. You could maybe look on the original cad files that should be somewhere in thingiverse.
There is probably even a BOM.

Jetguy

Jun 18, 2016, 4:37:15 PM6/18/16
to Vintage Makerbot
While this did not have exactly the BOM, there are the DXF files buried here, along with the electronics and a lot of good old stuff. Check out Hoeken's folder in users. The good old days. Cool MK6 stuff
https://github.com/jmil/makerbot

Jetguy

Jun 18, 2016, 4:39:10 PM6/18/16
to Vintage Makerbot
Thing-O-matic source files are all here on Thingiverse including BOM
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4973

John P

Jun 18, 2016, 5:01:15 PM6/18/16
to Vintage Makerbot
Right, turns out it's a 624 Bearing I was looking for in the BOM, which it uses 3 of. I think that's the old plastruder, but it's been awhile.

There's also a "Linear Bearing - 3/8 - Self-aligning" listed, which it uses 10 of - which matches the number of axis bars.

thanks!

Joseph Chiu (Toybuilder)

Jun 18, 2016, 5:07:05 PM6/18/16
to vintage-...@googlegroups.com

The original ToM Mk7 extruder had no bearings. It used the novel Delrin plunger design.

Whosawhatsis then first published his minimalistic bearing extruder conversion which was later followed by other designs.

Dan Newman

Jun 18, 2016, 6:00:22 PM6/18/16
to vintage-...@googlegroups.com
As mentioned previously, they had some compliant, press-fit bushings. Plenty of
people replaced those with SW06UU bearings with a retaining fitting such as
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:15770 and used like so

http://www.thingiverse.com/make:9316

You'd use two C-clips to secure things: one is on the inside of the wooden carriage,
the other on the outside retaining the spacer.

There were also some common X sled replacements which would use three linear bearings
and thus fix MakerBot's overconstrained use of four bushings.

Dan

Dan Newman

Jun 18, 2016, 6:01:25 PM6/18/16
to vintage-...@googlegroups.com
> There's also a "Linear Bearing - 3/8 - Self-aligning" listed, which it uses 10
> of - which matches the number of axis bars.

And if you're in the US and want some of those self-aligning bearings, I have
a number of them sitting in a box. From when I removed them from my ToM and
replaced them with linear bearings.

Dan