Re: Digest for vintage-makerbot@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

David Weier

Apr 29, 2015, 3:18:32 PM4/29/15
to vintage-...@googlegroups.com
In regards to what Dan was saying:

 "You need to find out what firmware & version of said firwmare is installed
in the printer. Knowing that, you should then be able to determine what version
of RepG to use. Unfortunately, unless the bot has a Gen 4 LCD interface, you
cannot tell without connecting (successfully) over USB and talking to it.
Short of that, you just then need to install a known firmware."

You could attempt to download an older version of Replicator G and see if it communicates. When I started with my Thingomatic Hardware (approx sept of 2012) I was using Replicator G v29. I know that when you move up in versions it requires that you update the firmware, but I do not know why, Dan could probably answer that question better than I. But, I would give a few older versions of Replicator G a try and see if that communicates. (I have v29 working on a windows 7 pro computer so it should work on yours)

Keep asking questions and you'll get it up and running.

Dave

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 5:26 AM, <vintage-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Carl Myrland <carl.m...@gmail.com>: Apr 28 02:28PM -0700

A friend of mine gave me a Thing-o-Matic that he used some time ago, and
the only premise for him to give it to me was that I didn't ask him about
any problems I might have.. Which now seems to me was a sneaky way of
saying "it doesn't work", but hey. I might be wrong..

So, I've tried to connect to the thingomatic from to different computers:
One running W7E, the other running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Neither are able to
connect with the Arduino board.

Well, the Ubuntu one apparently has a 64-bit java issue which causes
ReplicatorG to crash. See pastebin for more info.
http://pastebin.com/1ed9vQbq I did find a post proposing a solution here:
https://github.com/makerbot/ReplicatorG/issues/274, but I can't get it to
work. I am unable to find the RXTXCommDriver.java he's talking about in my
Ubuntu 14.04 setup.. If anybody wants to help out, I'd be very grateful.

However, my biggest issue is to get the ToM working with my W7E computer,
as I am a teacher and want to use the printer at school during the next few
weeks.. When I connect the ToM to the computer it initially fails to
install the correct USB to serial port-driver, but I've found a fix for
that. When I start ReplicatorG it tries to connect to the printer, but I
only get this output:

[21:34:24] Connecting to machine using serial port: COM4
[21:34:27] Read timed out.
[21:34:27] Packet timed out!
[21:34:32] Read timed out.
[21:34:32] Packet timed out!
[21:34:32] No connection; trying to pulse RTS to reset device.
[21:34:37] Read timed out.
[21:34:37] Packet timed out!
[21:34:37] Unable to connect to firmware.
[21:35:07] IOException retrieving version file at
http://download.replicat.org/updates.xml
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.replicat.org%2Fupdates.xml&h=gAQH0USxv&enc=AZN-YOMgMNNEbXApNmqGwJ7yULnHmBch33ths_CY0jSTjYNJxnh7mfcUNCNYYBjYFhVlr2q6bZhbQWL5XHs64awu6H6vQcWR3F8OhnZHm-YNn7pW1kOk9gDIGRfk_e8DCHNlXcnf0CZMXRVQV39UJRaMJLvweBW_XC9AqYd1sNENTw&s=1>

I've read about people having this problem but still being able to flash
the arduino, but when I try to flash it ReplicatorG just freezes. avrdude
starts as a background process, but nothing happens. The only thing I can
do is to unplug the USB cable, close ReplicatorG, reconnect the printer and
start ReplicatorG again... But I'm kinda stuck here. I really have no idea
about Arduinos, 3D-printers, Makerbot or anything. I just want to get this
thing working, but it seems like all the support forums are dead.

Oh, and I'm curious: When I connect the printer to the computer, a red LED
starts flashing a steady pulse, like one blink every two seconds or so.
When I try to flash the device, it starts blinking with five quick flashes
in a row, a short pause, then five new flashes, etc. Can somebody tell me
what the different LED signals mean? I've tried to google it, but found
nothing.

Anyone?
Dan Newman <dan.n...@mtbaldy.us>: Apr 28 02:53PM -0700

On 28/04/2015 2:28 PM, Carl Myrland wrote:
> https://github.com/makerbot/ReplicatorG/issues/274, but I can't get it to
> work. I am unable to find the RXTXCommDriver.java he's talking about in my
> Ubuntu 14.04 setup.. If anybody wants to help out, I'd be very grateful.

If you download a RepG distro from replicat.org or the Sailfish Thing
at thingiverse.com, it comes with its own JVM and should use that JVM
if you run the executable out of the folder it came packaged up in.
That should avoid the 64bit java problem.

> [21:35:07] IOException retrieving version file at
> http://download.replicat.org/updates.xml
> <http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.replicat.org%2Fupdates.xml&h=gAQH0USxv&enc=AZN-YOMgMNNEbXApNmqGwJ7yULnHmBch33ths_CY0jSTjYNJxnh7mfcUNCNYYBjYFhVlr2q6bZhbQWL5XHs64awu6H6vQcWR3F8OhnZHm-YNn7pW1kOk9gDIGRfk_e8DCHNlXcnf0CZMXRVQV39UJRaMJLvweBW_XC9AqYd1sNENTw&s=1>

You need to find out what firmware & version of said firwmare is installed
in the printer. Knowing that, you should then be able to determine what version
of RepG to use. Unfortunately, unless the bot has a Gen 4 LCD interface, you
cannot tell without connecting (successfully) over USB and talking to it.
Short of that, you just then need to install a known firmware.

> I've read about people having this problem but still being able to flash
> the arduino, but when I try to flash it ReplicatorG just freezes. avrdude
> starts as a background process, but nothing happens.

Getting the timing right for pushing the RESET button on the motherboard
AND starting the firmware download is very tricky on Windows. It's easier
on a Mac (IMO). Issue on Windows, is that Windows jumps through too many
hoops instantiating the USB device after the RESET button press. In the
meantime, the AVR has started the bootloader and the 2s clock is ticking
on the timing window to start the download.

> start ReplicatorG again... But I'm kinda stuck here. I really have no idea
> about Arduinos, 3D-printers, Makerbot or anything. I just want to get this
> thing working, but it seems like all the support forums are dead.

And you do want the bot powered on when you attempt to do firmware downloads.

> Oh, and I'm curious: When I connect the printer to the computer, a red LED
> starts flashing a steady pulse, like one blink every two seconds or so.

That's normal. Other patterns (e.g., two blinks on, pause, two blinks on, etc.)
is not normal.

> in a row, a short pause, then five new flashes, etc. Can somebody tell me
> what the different LED signals mean? I've tried to google it, but found
> nothing.

Doing the reset caused some garbage characters in the buffer of the USB
chip to be received by the main Arduino processor. That was then perceived
as a bogus received command and so ERR_HOST_PACKET_MISC was signalled (5 flashes).

Dan