Makerbot Thing-O-Matic MK7 HBP wire harness?

MacGyver

Aug 10, 2016, 8:11:44 PM8/10/16
to Vintage Makerbot
After 100's of prints my HBP wire has melted and bit the dust again.  I'm having trouble finding a replacement for it does anyone know where I can get a replacement for it?  I'm looking for a Thingomatic Heated Bed Wiring Harness.

MacGyver

Aug 10, 2016, 8:53:47 PM8/10/16
to Vintage Makerbot
I've managed to solder around the problem for the moment but I would love to find a replacement wire for my HBP.

Jetguy

Aug 15, 2016, 11:41:02 AM8/15/16
to Vintage Makerbot
Nobody, and I mean nobody supports this printer much anymore. It's a DIY special at this point and you pretty much have to make from scratch.
I would replace with RC car connectors and use Dean's or XT30 or maybe even 60Amp rate connectors, not because you need 30A, but because at temp, the derating goes so low.

MacGyver

Aug 15, 2016, 12:14:42 PM8/15/16
to Vintage Makerbot
Crud, I kind of figured that might be the case, I've got it working in the meantime.  Thanks for the advice.

James McCracken

Aug 15, 2016, 2:20:43 PM8/15/16
to vintage-...@googlegroups.com
I replaced mine with this: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/con-640/6-conductor-locking-connector-w/leads/1.html

of course, this was when I had to rebuild my HBP from scratch... for the third time... and I happened to have one of those lying around...

I also zip-tied the wires to this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5764

ok, well the remix of the remix of that part.  You get the idea ;)  If you have an original HBP, that part should actually work for you though.

I also used crimp connectors to connect the tail to the nichrome coming out of the HBP.  I may have soldered the thermistor connections (the thermistor itself is crimped to a tiny breakout board I built to hold the voltage divider)

MacGyver

Aug 16, 2016, 12:59:23 PM8/16/16
to Vintage Makerbot
That could definitely work for my bot.  I'll keep that in mind for the next time this thing burns up.