5mm on X axis gets me 40mm

Dan Laskowski

Aug 9, 2015, 7:18:49 PM8/9/15
to Vintage Makerbot
Overnight my Cupcake started moving 40mm for each 5mm on the X asix.  Everything else seems to be normal.  It really makes my prints go crazy.

I am testing this from the control panel in Replicatorg.  I have checked the settings, machine information and switched cables around.  The problem seems to come from the RepRap ver 1.2 motherboard.  I switched out the 3G 5D Shield board and still the same problem.  I factory reset the motherboard and reloaded all my Sailfish parameters.  I changed out the printer profile and reloaded the right profile.  The problem remains.

It seems like something on my motherboard went bad.  Any thoughts?

James McCracken

Aug 9, 2015, 7:36:03 PM8/9/15
to vintage-...@googlegroups.com

Sounds like you were using 1/8 microstepping and whatever went bad caused you to go down to 1:1 stepping.  Check your stepper driver, there might be jumpers to set the microstepping mode, and check any cable connection between your mb and your driver

James McCracken

Aug 9, 2015, 7:37:59 PM8/9/15
to vintage-...@googlegroups.com

Also try swapping your x and y drivers and see if that swaps the problem axis... Will tell you whether it's the driver or the mb that went bad

Dan Newman

Aug 9, 2015, 8:12:08 PM8/9/15
On 09/08/2015 7:36 PM, James McCracken wrote:
> Sounds like you were using 1/8 microstepping and whatever went bad caused
> you to go down to 1:1 stepping. Check your stepper driver, there might be
> jumpers to set the microstepping mode, and check any cable connection
> between your mb and your driver

A known hardware failure on those stepper drivers was having a microstepping mode
in the driver fail and hard-lock you into a lower mode. Only fix was to replace
the stepper driver.

Dan

James McCracken

Aug 9, 2015, 10:07:12 PM8/9/15
to vintage-...@googlegroups.com

Now that you mention it, I recall a few threads on the old makerbot group to that effect... Might've even had it happen to my first driver,  replaced by mbi for free..

Dan Laskowski

Aug 9, 2015, 10:08:04 PM8/9/15
to Vintage Makerbot
One of the first things I did was physically move the Pololu stepper driver daughter boards around.  The problem always follows the x-axis.  If I switch the x and y cables, the y-axis has the 8 to 1 problem.

I pulled the motherboard and checked for a cold solder joints and could not find anything.  I am hoping there is a machine setting on the mother board I am missing...

Dan Newman

Aug 9, 2015, 10:27:39 PM8/9/15
to vintage-...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering when you mentioned 1/8th stepping if maybe you had pololu and
not the stock MBI/RepRap Gen 3 stepper drivers. That failure mode I mentioned
was for the MBI/RepRap Gen 3 (and Gen 4) stepper drivers. With pololu's, I'm
not too sure about their failure modes. However, it does sound like your pololu
has gone bad. At least they are easily replaced unlike those old MBI/RepRap
drivers.

Dan

Dan Laskowski

Aug 10, 2015, 4:21:17 PM8/10/15
to Vintage Makerbot
The bottom side of the triple axis Pololu board has switches for resolution.  I flipped all the switches off and on twice, put everything back together and it is working!  Might have been oxidation in the switches?