HBP on an TOM 5 years later stripped pcb traced

Erwin Ried

Oct 23, 2015, 8:58:16 AM10/23/15
to Vintage Makerbot
My HBP finally give up, first it was the connector. I soldered it to the pins and heat shrink the connections. Then the controller board failed and I had to replace some burn connectors. But two months ago, the pcb traces of the hbp were stripped out:

I tried to fix it with bodged wires and epoxy:

But that only lasted 3-4 prints... until I found a perfect replacement on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CoolCube-New-1pc-Makerbot-3d-Printer-Kit-PCB-Heated-Bed-Hot-Bed-120-120mm-12V-

And the TOM is back again to print!

Dan Newman

Oct 23, 2015, 12:25:52 PM10/23/15
to vintage-...@googlegroups.com
Greetings Erwin!

Nice that someone is selling them. Too bad they didn't knock off the improved designs
which do not use a surface mount connector which can break off, lifting the traces in
the process.

Dan

Erwin Ried

Oct 24, 2015, 4:37:05 PM10/24/15
to Vintage Makerbot
I don't know if the newer connector will avoid a little longer the issue, because it has a retainer clip in the horizontal part instead of the sides as the original one.

David Slater

Oct 25, 2015, 4:49:10 PM10/25/15
to vintage-...@googlegroups.com
Remove the pins then drill a couple small vertical holes completely thru the cable connector body.  Allow air to circulate past the wire crimp to cool the crimp / female pin / board male pin