Ctrlp keeps hanging on me

Gary Haran

Jun 4, 2013, 12:49:34 PM6/4/13
to vi...@googlegroups.com
So I'm using CtrlP to fuzzy search project files but I sometimes make a mistake typing something and then type too far... and it hangs... and I have to wait for a minute or so (on a considerably fast machine) before I have control of things again.

Are you guys using CtrlP?  What are you doing to make it fast?  What are the good alternatives?

Gary

Fred Dubois

Jun 4, 2013, 1:15:08 PM6/4/13
to vi...@googlegroups.com, vi...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I use CtrlP and the only time it kinda hangs is when I search huge projects (> 10000 files). Well it's not actually hanging, just loading files... but if I change my mind I just hit Ctrl-C to make it stop, did you try that?

-Fred

Fred Dubois

Jun 4, 2013, 1:17:36 PM6/4/13
to vi...@googlegroups.com, vi...@googlegroups.com
Oh and to make it faster I use a Sessionx.vim file to give it some settings, like folders to ignore, might help. Example file:

-Fred

On 2013-06-04, at 12:49, Gary Haran <gary....@gmail.com> wrote:

Kamal Marhubi

Jun 7, 2013, 8:15:52 AM6/7/13
to vi...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 4, 2013, at 12:49 PM, Gary Haran wrote:
> So I'm using CtrlP to fuzzy search project files but I sometimes make a
> mistake typing something and then type too far... and it hangs... and I
> have to wait for a minute or so (on a considerably fast machine) before I
> have control of things again.

If you use git, I believe you can change the command it uses to
something like ‘git ls-files’ which will return faster, and omit silly
things like the .git directory itself. There's also a plugin called
‘rooter’ that automatically sets the working directory to the git root
directory, and so all file commands are relative to that, even if you
launch vim from an subdirectory. I find that quite handy.