Hot new vim setup - Square's maximum-awesome

Sean Sorrell

Aug 29, 2013, 2:33:21 PM8/29/13
to vi...@googlegroups.com
Hey there nerds,

We finally got around to open sourcing Square's vim distribution. It's called maximum-awesome (a term coined by your truly) and it's available here[1]. There are more words on the subject here[2].

I know thoughtbought has their own distro, so I guess that makes us mortal enemies. Please take a look and see if there's any sweet plugins we've missed - PRs encouraged. As an example: Adarsh, can I convince you to port your sweet ctrl-p + ag setup over to pathogen & maximum-awesome? It would be loved by all.

Chris Hunt

Aug 29, 2013, 6:29:27 PM8/29/13
to vi...@googlegroups.com
> port your sweet ctrl-p + ag setup over to pathogen ...

I think all the cool kids are using Vundle now. :trollface:

https://github.com/gmarik/vundle

-Chris

Juan Ochoa

Aug 29, 2013, 9:38:19 PM8/29/13
to vi...@googlegroups.com
Love, love, LOVE vundle.  Been using it for months and can't see ever going back.
Thanks for open-sourcing Maximum Awesome.  Will check it out and see what I can take from it that would help out my current setup.

Gabriel Gilder

Aug 29, 2013, 11:14:11 PM8/29/13
to vi...@googlegroups.com
I am interested in hearing more about this sweet ctrl-p + ag setup. I tried ctrl-p a few months back and gave up on trying to make it do the right thing. I like my ag setup but I am sure it could be sweeter.

Adarsh Pandit

Aug 30, 2013, 12:07:43 PM8/30/13
to vimsf
Great stuff, Sean! Your GitHub repo almost has as many followers as our dotfiles (friendly burn!).

I think we're due for a Vim Enthusiast Meetup - will send out a note soon.

+1 for Vundle and -1 for my ability to Vundlize this change anytime soon.

For the curious, this change uses The Silver Searcher (grep replacement, install with homebrew) as the Ctrl P backend and is wildly faster:

Also handily respects your .gitignore file among other fun features.

It's so fast, we're no longer caching the results:

ap
--
@adarshp
developer for thoughtbot, inc

Scheduling with me? See bit.ly/adarshcalendar