January meetup - speakers wanted!

Drew Neil

Jan 7, 2014, 6:34:41 AM1/7/14
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Happy New Year! Our January meetup will take place on Tuesday the 28th. We’ll probably be at a venue near Old Street this time. I’ll confirm that when I can. Here’s the event listing on meetup.com:

We’re looking for volunteers to speak. If you’ve learned about any cool new plugins, workflows, tricks or whatever, then we’d love to hear about it. Get in touch through this list or  contact me directly.

Cheers,
Drew

Jack Franklin

Jan 7, 2014, 6:55:00 AM1/7/14
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Hey Drew,

Seeing as I happen to be in London throughout that week, I thought I'd propose a small talk.

I've struggled with VimScript for a while, but over the Xmas period I decided just to try and build a plugin, and see where it takes me. With a copy of "Learn VimScript the Hardway" and a few other resources, I was able to cobble together this plugin  [https://github.com/jackfranklin/vim-markdown-writer] containing some (what I think are) handy functions for those who write with Markdown in Vim. I think I managed to have the "aha" moment where a lot of things clicked. The plugin isn't going to win any awards, and I'm sure the code can be improved hugely, but I was wondering if just a quick 5-10minute chat on how I finally managed to get started with VimScript and what I found, along with the benefits of not only being able to write plugins but just functions that make life much easier. For example, I wrote some VimScript to help me execute the current file I'm working on: https://github.com/jackfranklin/dotfiles/blob/master/vim/plugin/execute_file.vim, and one to run the current, or most recent, test file: https://github.com/jackfranklin/dotfiles/blob/master/vim/plugin/execute_test.vim.

Let me know if that would be of interest or not - I've been out of the loop with regards to what's been spoken on recently so if VimScript has been covered recently then I guess you won't want another one. Either way, I'll definitely try to make it to the meetup as I happen to be in London :)

Cheers,

Jack

Drew Neil

Jan 7, 2014, 6:59:49 AM1/7/14
to viml...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good Jack! I’ll put you down for a 10 minute talk.

Drew

Drew Neil

Jan 20, 2014, 3:11:43 AM1/20/14
to viml...@googlegroups.com
You can now RSVP on meetup.com for our January event:

We’ll be at the Skimlinks office, which is near Old St. I’m still looking for volunteers to speak at this event. If you’ve got something cool that you’d like to share, then please get in touch!

Drew

Drew Neil

Jan 21, 2014, 7:39:07 AM1/21/14
to viml...@googlegroups.com
We’ve got another speaker lined up: Alex Young will talk about Vim and the web.

There’s still room in the schedule for one or two more talks. Let me know if you’ve got something you’d like to talk about.

Drew

Drew Neil

Jan 24, 2014, 6:10:13 AM1/24/14
to viml...@googlegroups.com
I’ve added one more talk to the schedule: Follow my <leader>, by me. Here’s the gist:

In this gh issue, Tim Pope declares that "leader maps are pretty lame". That got me thinking about custom Vim mappings, and made me realize that tpope's Vim plugins (which are the gold standard) never use the leader key. How does he do it? Let's talk about the leader key, when to use it, when not to, and what alternatives are out there.

Here’s the updated schedule: http://lanyrd.com/2014/vimlondon/schedule/ There’s room for a lightning talk if anyone still wants to put their name down.

Looking forward to it!
Drew