English and Russian layouts vs mappings

RingoRangoRongo

Nov 30, 2016, 1:20:00 AM11/30/16
to vim_use
Hi!

Sicne I use both Russian and English keyboard layouts, obviously, I face the usual problem that pressing a Russian letter in Normal mode doesn't produce a command. Luckily, Vim has the `langmap` setting, which allows to tie my Russian keyboard layout with the English one. This makes default commands (like `G` or `yy`) working in Normal mode without switching layouts.

However, _remapped_ commands (like `Y` for `y$`) or Leader-mappings (like `<Leader>b`) still do not work (pressing the latter, for example, results in `word back`, as per `b` command).

Is it possible somehow to make this work? Trying `langremap` or `nolangremap` doesn't affect the situation, too.

Thanks.

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov

Nov 30, 2016, 3:09:43 AM11/30/16
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I once chose not to learn Russian touch typing, instead relying on
https://bitbucket.org/ZyX_I/translit3. This has an upside that I do
not learn how to touch type twice. Downside is that I cannot touch
type Russian text without using Vim with my plugin. Depending on how
often you have to type Russian text on machines you don’t own and how
often you happen to type short Russian messages fast (I type in Vim
and copy message over, this adds O(1) time to typing Russian text)
this option may be (in)appropriate for you.

This plugin may also be configured to emulate langmap to some extent,
but I never tried doing something like this and can’t say pros/cons
compared to langmap and whether it is good enough idea to bother.