Diagnose spurious Conceal group highlight gui Greys

Josef Fortier

Mar 3, 2018, 9:17:28 PM3/3/18
to vim_use
Somehow something is setting my Conceal highlight with hard to read defaults. Verbose highlight Conceal shows:
ctermfg=7 ctermbg=242 guifg=LightGrey guibg=DarkGrey
With source in the sourced colorscheme, which seems reasonable except:
1) The exact same highlight shows up in 4 or 5 other colorschemes (of the 7-9 I tried).
2) Looking through the colorscheme shows nothing like that coloration.
3) Grepping for some clue as to where this is being set throughout /usr/share and local vim files, with no obvious candidates.

I can deal with this by explicitly declaring a Conceal highlight, but I'd like to undestand both why, and how to fix it more elegantly.

Thanks :-)

Tony Mechelynck

Mar 4, 2018, 1:58:21 AM3/4/18
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Here are the relevant RTFM sections:

:help :verbose
:help 'verbose'
:help :highlight-verbose

IOW,
:verbose hi Conceal
ought to tell you what you need to know. (You should still read the
help text, even though I gave you the answer.)

Best regards,
Tony.

Tony Mechelynck

Mar 4, 2018, 2:05:57 AM3/4/18
to vim...@googlegroups.com
P.S. I like that added verbosity so much that I have the following in my vimrc:

if &verbose < 1
set verbose=1
endif

The surrounding :if is to allow setting a higher level by adding e.g.
--cmd='set verbose=5' on the Vim command-line.

Best regards,
Tony.